Are you suffering from dry skin? If your answer is yes, you need not to worry because most of the people get dry and scaly skin in winters that can be avoided or effectively treated using some methods. Winter season often affect the skin most and makes it dry and scaly. It’s not only the cold biting weather but our skin care regimen is also a culprit that makes the skin dry in winters. However, there are certain other reasons also that cause dry skin and in this case you need to get proper treatment. Here we will discuss the symptoms and reasons of dry skin and the ways to prevent it or treat it.
What is dry skin?
Having dry skin is in fact not a disease in most of the cases but it is common problem that makes the skin itchy, scaly and red. The condition becomes worse in winter or autumn because of the cold weather and improper skin care routine not providing the level care your skin needs. Mostly, skin of face, hands and legs get affected in winter season and as you age, dryness becomes more likely.
Symptoms of dry skin:
Some people have naturally a bit dry skin but you need to take proper measures if you see certain symptoms. If you are suffering from below given symptoms then you need to go for the treatment.
- Scaly, rough or flaking skin
- Itching on the skin
- Ashy or gray skin in people who have dark skin tone
- Cracks in the skin that may bleed in severe cases
- Cracked or chapped lips
- Feeling tightness on the skin
Reasons your skin is dry:
There are many reasons behind itchy, dry and scaly skin and some of the common reasons are given below.
- Dry winter weather is the most common culprit causing dry skin.
- Over-washing your skin can also cause dryness. Hot baths and showers can also cause dryness on the skin, so spend less time under water.
- Aging also affects the texture of skin and causes dryness, so, apply moisturizers regularly.
- If you are using certain medication for the treatment of zits, it may also be the reason behind dryness of your skin.
- Certain skin disorders like psoriasis and eczema may also cause skin dryness.
How to prevent dryness?
You can prevent dryness by following below given some tips.
- Don’t use very hot water for shower.
- Avoid over-washing and over-use of soap.
- Apply moisturizer to keep it hydrated
- Avoid excessive exposure to sun and sun-bathing.
How to treat dryness?
The first and foremost thing that can be done for the treatment of dry skin is using moisturizers and oily creams. If you think your condition is severe then you should consult an experienced dermatologist for appropriate treatment. If inflammatory skin conditions like eczema or dermatitis are the culprits for dry skin, then the dermatologist will treat the condition with topical medications or steroid creams.
In short, dry skin is a common condition and there are many ways of preventing or treating dryness of skin. Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Providing free consultation for Skin Care Treatment.