Rhinoplasty, or nose job, is a surgical procedure to change the shape or structure of the nose. It is provided either to improve the nose’s aesthetics or correct structural problems, including the ones that may lead to nasal breathing impairment. Rhinoplasty involves tissue modification in the nose’s skin, cartilage, bone, or all three, depending on the treatment goals or the degree of correction required.
Rhinoplasty is generally performed in a surgical setting under anesthesia. Although it’s a major surgery, it doesn’t cause many complications, provided you receive it from a skilled ENT surgeon.
Types of Rhinoplasty
The two fundamental classifications of rhinoplasty are as follows:
- Primary rhinoplasty: This nose job is the first operation ever performed to reshape a patient’s nose. It is the most common type of rhinoplasty, typically performed to improve the nose’s appearance, address structural problems, or improve airflow.
- Revision rhinoplasty: This type of rhinoplasty is performed on patients who had undergone one or multiple rhinoplasties in the past but couldn’t get desirable results or their treatment had failed. This nose job is the most challenging and requires the surgeon to be highly skilled.
Rhinoplasty can also be classified as closed or open rhinoplasty.
- Closed rhinoplasty: This type typically addresses the aesthetic issues of the nose. It involves incisions inside the nostrils to access nasal structures to be modified to improve the nose’s appearance. Through this procedure, your surgeon may shorten your nose or reduce the dorsal hump.
- Open rhinoplasty: This rhinoplasty addresses both the cosmetic and functional problems of the nose. This procedure involves an incision on the columella, exposing more of the nasal structure. It is a more complicated treatment than closed rhinoplasty because it deals with more complex areas of the nose anatomy.
Benefits of Rhinoplasty
Rhinoplasty offers several benefits, some of which are as follows:
- Improved appearance
- Improved nasal breathing
- Effective restoration of a broken nose
- Reduced sinus problems
- Reduced snoring
Who Is The Ideal Candidate For Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty may be required for anyone looking to improve the shape or function of their nose. However, other criteria, such as the following, must be considered to establish candidacy for the procedure.
- You are overall healthy and fit to undergo rhinoplasty.
- Your facial growth is complete at the time you want to have a nose job.
- You are a non-smoker or at least willing to stop smoking for a prescribed duration before and after the procedure.
- Your expectations about the procedure are realistic.
Preparing for Rhinoplasty
Rhinoplasty pre-op guidelines can be specific to your treatment requirements. However, top rhinoplasty surgeons in Dubai agree that some standard guidelines must be followed to minimize treatment risks and prevent complications. Those guidelines are as follows:
- Pay attention to your diet and lifestyle. Eat foods that have a positive impact on your digestive health. Engage in daily exercise to keep yourself physically fit.
- Plan your transportation. You will likely not be able to drive back home after your rhinoplasty. Therefore, asking someone from your family or friends’ circle for assistance is a good idea.
- Buy cold compresses ahead of time. You do not want to rush to drugstores panic-purchasing pain-relief equipment while dealing with post-op discomfort. With ice packs and sleep aids ready at home, it will be easy to manage pain once you return after rhinoplasty.
- Avoid using certain medications for two weeks before surgery. Generally, you will be advised to stop taking NSAIDs, aspirin, vitamin E, and herbal supplements.
- Stop smoking for at least two weeks before the treatment. Smoking is terrible for overall health because it slows or compromises recovery from cell breakdown in the body. This affects wound healing, potentially causing problems during the recovery after rhinoplasty.
Rhinoplasty is performed in a surgical setting under local anesthesia with sedation or general anesthesia. The kind of anesthesia depends on the complexity of the procedure or the patient’s preferences.
The surgeon begins the procedure once anesthesia comes into effect. They may make an incision in the base of the nose between the nostrils (open rhinoplasty) or inside the nose (closed rhinoplasty). This incision makes the nose’s bone, cartilage, and other underlying tissues accessible.
When the treatment area doesn’t have enough bone or cartilage, the required material may be taken from other regions. For instance, cartilage from the septum or ear can be used for minor changes or restructuring. For more significant changes, bone, cartilage, or other tissues may be taken from other body areas.
The surgeon may also trim down excess tissues in the nose to improve alignment or projections. One typical example is the Dorsal Hump Reduction, during which the extra bone and cartilage are shaven. This procedure straightens the nose bridge, improving the appearance.
The surgeon will close the incisions using sutures once the required changes have been made. They will apply bandages to the treated area to prevent bleeding and infection.
You will have swelling in the nose that usually persists for 4-6 weeks. It subsides slowly and may take a few months to go away completely. It may take a year to fully recover from the rhinoplasty procedure, though the exact duration may vary from patient to patient.
Before & After
We do not give any guarantee, as the results vary from one person to another.
Following the post-op guidelines will ensure a smoother recovery and help you get the desired results. Some of those guidelines are as follows:
- Sleep with your head elevated during the first few days when swelling and bleeding are prevalent.
- Avoid strenuous physical activity until the swelling is significantly reduced.
- Bathe instead of taking a shower until the bandages are taken off.
- Avoid blowing your nose.
- Follow measures to avoid constipation. This is because constipation can make you push harder to empty your bowels, putting undue pressure on your face.
- More importantly, follow specific guidelines from your surgeon diligently to avoid any trouble.
What Are The Risks Of Rhinoplasty?
The most common risks associated with rhinoplasty are bleeding, swelling, and discomfort, which subside after some time. Swelling will likely cause an obstructed airway. But you should be able to breathe normally through your nose when swelling is reduced. In rare cases, you may experience an adverse reaction to anesthesia.
Remember, the post-op risk will be minimal if you get rhinoplasty from a skilled surgeon. Please speak to our ENT consultant at Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic for more details.
Cost of Rhinoplasty
The starting cost of Rhinoplasty in Dubai averages around AED 25000. The exact price of the treatment may vary from case to case, depending on the following factors:
- Type of rhinoplasty recommended
- The degree of correction required and whether the correction is needed to improve the aesthetics only or address the functional problems as well
- The ENT surgeon’s expertise
- The clinic’s geographic location and reputation
Is rhinoplasty safe?
Yes, rhinoplasty is a safe procedure approved by the FDA. It does not cause significant side effects, and you can recover within 2 to 3 weeks
How long does it take to recover after rhinoplasty?
The recovery period of rhinoplasty is short. It requires one week to feel normal after the surgery. You might experience swelling around the nose, eyes, and cheeks during the recovery, but it will subside within two weeks. Your surgeon will recommend using cold compresses to reduce the swelling.
Are the results permanent?
The results are long-lasting but not permanent because aging in the later years can alter the nose shape. You might need follow-up visits after the surgery at regular intervals for at least one year until the nose attains its final form.
How soon do the results appear after the surgery?
The final results of nose surgery will appear within 12 months after the surgery. During this time, gradual changes in the nose shape will continue to occur until the shape is permanently established. You will start observing results two weeks after the surgery once the swelling and bruising subside and nose details become clear.
Our Rhinoplasty Surgeons
Book a Consultation
Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic is where you meet board-certified, highly skilled surgeons for your aesthetic and reconstructive needs. For more details, please call +971 4 348 5575. To book a consultation online, fill in the form below.
Fill in the form to get a consultation100% Financing with 0% Interest