A thigh lift, or thighplasty, is a cosmetic procedure that removes excess fat and skin from the thighs to give them a more ‘lifted-up,’ slimmer, and firmer appearance. This treatment is usually provided to patients with sagging skin on the thighs due to significant weight loss or aging. Not only does this treatment improve the lower body contour, but its fat removal aspect also improves the leg’s muscle tone.
A thigh lift is also recommended when diet and exercise fail to give your thighs and glutes a balanced, symmetrical appearance. This treatment aims to make your lower body outline proportionate to your upper body silhouette, refining your overall body aesthetics.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Are The Causes Of Saggy Thighs?
- 2 Who Can Get A Thigh Lift?
- 3 Types of Thighplasty
- 4 Before & After Results
- 5 Preparing For A Thigh Lift
- 6 Thigh lift Surgery Procedure
- 7 After The Thigh Lift
- 8 Benefits of a Thigh Lift
- 9 Risks and Complications
- 10 Recovery
- 11 Cost
- 12 Thigh Lift FAQs
- 12.1 What can I expect to feel after a Thigh Lift?
- 12.2 What kind of after effects should I expect after Thigh Lift Surgery?
- 12.3 How Long does Thigh Lift Surgery Takes?
- 12.4 What is the Recovery Time for Thighplasty?
- 12.5 When I can resume my work after thigh lift surgery?
- 12.6 How Long Thigh Lift Result Lasts?
- 12.7 Is Thigh Lift Painful Procedure?
- 12.8 What are Thigh Lift Complications?
- 12.9 Why should I choose thigh lift surgery?
- 13 Our Surgeons
- 14 Book a Consultation
What Are The Causes Of Saggy Thighs?
From aging to sudden weight loss to genetics, several factors are responsible for saggy thighs. Some of those factors or reasons are as follows:
Aging: With age, the body naturally loses its ability to produce enough collagen and elastin, affecting skin elasticity and firmness. As a result, the skin becomes less tight and starts sagging in most body regions, including the thighs.
Rapid weight changes: Gaining and losing significant weight quickly can cause the skin to overstretch. This process can outpace collagen production; consequently, the skin will not regain its pre-stretched state. This can cause the skin on the thighs and other body areas to become lax.
Genetics: Your specific genetic structure can influence your skin’s ability to remain firm and elastic. This is because particular genes can affect the speed and quality of collagen and elastin production.
Poor muscle tone: Underdeveloped thigh muscles leave a room under the skin waiting to be filled. Over time, muscles lose their volume, and, at the same time, aging causes the skin to lose its elasticity and become saggy. The lack of muscle volume makes the skin laxity even more prominent, especially in the thigh region.
Hormonal changes: Reduced collagen production and the resultant loss of skin elasticity can be attributed to fluctuating hormonal levels, particularly during menopause. This can lead to skin sagginess in the thighs and other body areas.
Who Can Get A Thigh Lift?
Good candidates for thighplasty include the following individuals:
- People with body weights in a stable and healthy range
- People with excess soft tissue in the inner (medial) or outer (lateral) thigh region
- Healthy individuals with no severe or chronic health conditions that compromise healing
- People who do not smoke or at least are willing to stop smoking for six weeks before and after surgery
- People with realistic expectations of the procedure
- People who are willing to lead a healthy, active life after the treatment
Types of Thighplasty
Thigh lift treatment in Dubai is classified into two main types, depending on the treatment area. These types are:
- Inner (medial) thigh lift
- Outer (lateral) thigh lift
Let’s discuss both thigh lift techniques briefly.
Inner Thigh Lift
Inner (medial) thighplasty removes excess skin and fat from the inner thighs. This procedure is usually recommended for individuals who have deep wrinkles and excessive laxity in the inner and front thigh areas. It is also performed on patients whose inner thighs rub against each other and cause chafing.
Outer Thigh Lift
Outer (lateral) thighplasty removes excess tissues from the outer area of the thighs. This thigh lift aims to improve the contour and muscle tone of the upper legs. It is usually performed on patients who have just lost significant weight and have excess sagging tissues on the front and lateral areas of the thighs.
Before & After Results
Since your legs will be swollen and bruised, you may not be able to see the final results of your procedure immediately. It may take a couple of months to see the final results but they will be long-lasting if you don’t follow a proper diet and exercise regularly. Please note that results may vary from person to person.
Preparing For A Thigh Lift
Before surgery, you will meet your surgeon in a clinic or treatment facility. During this meeting, the surgeon will examine your thighs and ask questions about your treatment goals. They will give you complete details of the thigh lift procedure and post-op recovery. You will also be informed about the risks and complications that might occur after the procedure.
During this pre-surgery meeting, the surgeon will give detailed instructions on preparing for your thigh lift procedure. Some of these instructions may be specific based on your treatment goals, the level of correction needed, and overall health, but some guidelines are generic, like the ones mentioned below:
- Get medically evaluated with lab tests.
- Take certain medications or replace the current medicines with new ones to adjust for the procedure.
- Stop smoking at least six weeks before surgery.
- Stop taking NSAIDs, aspirin, medications that cause blood-thinning, and herbal supplements.
Thigh lift Surgery Procedure
A thigh lift is a surgical procedure and, hence, must be done in an accredited surgical facility. Here is a generalized overview of the steps involved in it.
- The surgeon will first outline the areas of incisions using a marker. It is a comprehensive outline that helps ensure the incisions’ accuracy during the procedure.
- The anesthetist will administer general anesthesia to put you to sleep. You won’t feel anything during the procedure.
- Once you are unconscious, the surgeon will make an incision on your thighs. The incision pattern will depend on the type of thighplasty you are undergoing.
- For the inner (medial) thigh lift, the surgeon begins making the incision in the groin area, continues along the bikini line, and ends just below the buttocks. Sometimes, the incision may be extended further down the thigh.
- For the outer (lateral) thigh lift, the incision generally starts at the groin, continues around the hip, and extends across the back.
- Next, the surgeon will remove excess fat and skin, realign the tissues, and tighten the muscles.
- In the last step, they will close the incisions using sutures and apply wound dressings.
After The Thigh Lift
Right after the procedure, the surgical staff will move you to the recovery room, where you will stay until you wake up. You might need to stay in the hospital overnight.
Before you leave the hospital, your doctor will give you detailed instructions regarding incision site care. They will likely advise you to get plenty of rest and avoid excessive movement, although moving around a little will be recommended. You should avoid all strenuous physical activities until your surgeon approves.
After surgery, you will feel swelling and soreness in the thighs that subside gradually. It will take several days for both of these to go away completely.
Benefits of a Thigh Lift
A thigh lift offers the following benefits:
- It removes excess skin and fat, making your thighs slimmer.
- It reduces the saggy, dimpled, and flabby look of the thigh skin and helps achieve a firmer appearance.
- The skin tightening aspect of the procedure improves the appearance of cellulite.
- The inner thigh lift prevents chafing.
- It reduces the appearance of stretch marks.
- It decreases the risk of infection due to irritation.
Risks and Complications
A thigh lift is a safe procedure when performed by a skilled surgeon. Some complications may still occur, but they are usually outweighed by the benefits by a significant margin.
The potential risks and complications associated with thighplasty include the following:
- Bleeding and infection
- Pain, swelling, and bruising
- Fat necrosis
- Anesthesia issues
Every thigh lift procedure leads to surgical scars in the treated region. However, cosmetic surgeons pay special attention to the strategic placement of incisions to keep those scars more discrete.
The recovery after thighplasty can vary from person to person, based on the extent of tissue redistribution or elimination during the procedure and the patient’s overall health. Most patients achieve initial recovery in 2-3 weeks and may return to routine activities in six weeks.
The starting cost of a Thigh Lift in Dubai averages AED 25000. The final or total cost of the treatment generally varies from patient to patient, depending on the following factors:
- The type of thigh lift
- The extent of the treatment
- Medical and lab tests
- Pre- and post-surgery medications
- Anesthesia costs
- The surgeon’s expertise
- The clinic’s location
Thigh Lift FAQs
What can I expect to feel after a Thigh Lift?
You can expect to have some swelling and bruising after surgery. This will improve over time. You will have a dressing covering the surgical area. Your doctor will also put drains in your incisions. It is important to follow your doctor's instructions to ensure proper healing.
What kind of after effects should I expect after Thigh Lift Surgery?
After you have surgery on your thighs, you will have a lot of swelling and some bruising. This will be more noticeable if you also had liposuction. You will need to wear a compression garment to help reduce the swelling. The bruising usually lasts for about 3 weeks. Most of the swelling will be gone by this time, but there may still be some subtle swelling for up to 6 months. You may also notice that some areas of your thighs feel firm or hard to touch, especially along the edges of the incision site. This is normal and will go away with time.
How Long does Thigh Lift Surgery Takes?
Depending upon whether it is just the inner thigh, or both outer and inner thighs, the procedure may take approximately 2 to 4 hours.
What is the Recovery Time for Thighplasty?
This is a relatively painful procedure. Some difficulty in walking and sitting is experienced in the first one to two weeks. About 1 week to 10 days of recovery is needed. Recovery in terms of exercise etc, may take three to four weeks or longer.
When I can resume my work after thigh lift surgery?
This again depends upon the extent of surgery, and the type of work. Sedentary office work can be started in approximately 10 days to 2 weeks. Other types of work, where more exertion or physical activity is required, may take longer.
How Long Thigh Lift Result Lasts?
It depends upon the age of the patient when the surgery is performed as well as maintenance of weight after the surgery. In an otherwise healthy patient with proper maintenance of diet, and some exercise, the results may last 7 to 10 years.
Is Thigh Lift Painful Procedure?
This procedure is somewhat painful and strong pain medication is needed at least for the first few days. There is some pain afterwards, but it is easily controlled by proper pain medication.
What are Thigh Lift Complications?
In properly selected patients. The surgery goes quite smoothly. There are potential complications, however, which include prolonged swelling and bruising, the possibility of infection, and scarring. If liposuction is performed at the same time, the extent of surgery is increased and the risk of complications is relatively higher. Though the scars are hidden in the growing crease or about the waistline for outer thigh and buttock lift.
Why should I choose thigh lift surgery?
A thigh lift is a surgery that helps people who have extra skin and fat on their thighs. The surgery leaves a scar, and the person will need to recover for a while before they feel better. If they follow a healthy diet and exercise, the results of the surgery will last a long time.
Book a Consultation
Get shapelier thighs with reduced aging signs at Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic. For details or to book an appointment, please call +971 4 348 5575. You can also book a consultation online by filling in the form below.
Fill in the form to get a consultation100% Financing with 0% Interest