A thigh lift, or thighplasty, is a cosmetic procedure primarily aimed at removing excess skin from the thighs to give them a more lifted, slimmer, and firmer appearance. This treatment is usually provided to patients with sagging skin on the thighs due to significant weight loss or aging. Not only does this treatment improve the lower body contour, but its fat removal aspect also improves the leg’s muscle tone.
A thigh lift is also recommended when diet and exercise fail to give your thighs and glutes a balanced, symmetrical appearance.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Are The Causes Of Saggy Thighs?
- 2 Who Can Get A Thigh Lift?
- 3 Types of Thighplasty
- 4 Preparing For A Thigh Lift
- 5 Thigh lift Surgery Procedure
- 6 What Can I Expect After a Thigh Lift?
- 7 What is the Recovery Time for Thighplasty?
- 8 Results
- 9 Benefits of a Thigh Lift
- 10 Risks and Complications
- 11 Cost
- 12 Thigh Lift FAQs
- 13 Our Surgeons
- 14 Book a Consultation
What Are The Causes Of Saggy Thighs?
Some of the factors causing saggy thighs are as follows:
Aging: With age, the body naturally loses its ability to produce enough collagen and elastin, affecting skin elasticity and firmness.
Rapid weight changes: Gaining and losing significant weight quickly can cause the skin to overstretch.
Genetics: Your specific genetic structure can influence your skin’s ability to remain firm and elastic.
Poor muscle tone: Underdeveloped thigh muscles can contribute to a less toned appearance.
Hormonal changes: Reduced collagen production and the resultant loss of skin elasticity can be attributed to fluctuating hormonal levels, particularly during menopause.
Who Can Get A Thigh Lift?
Good candidates for thighplasty include the following individuals:
- People with body weights in a stable and healthy range
- People with excess soft tissue in the inner (medial) or outer (lateral) thigh region
- Healthy individuals with no severe or chronic health conditions that compromise healing
- People who do not smoke or are willing to quit smoking at least six weeks before and after surgery, as smoking can significantly impair healing
- People with realistic expectations of the procedure
- People who are willing to lead a healthy, active life after the treatment
Types of Thighplasty
Thigh lift treatment in Dubai is classified into two main types, depending on the treatment area. These types are:
- Inner (medial) thigh lift
- Outer (lateral) thigh lift
Let’s briefly discuss both thigh lift techniques.
Inner Thigh Lift
Inner (medial) thighplasty primarily removes excess skin from the inner thighs. This procedure is usually recommended for individuals who have deep wrinkles and excessive laxity in the inner and front thigh areas. It is also performed on patients whose inner thighs rub against each other and cause chafing.
Outer Thigh Lift
Outer (lateral) thighplasty removes excess tissues from the outer area of the thighs. This thigh lift aims to improve the contour of the upper legs. It is usually performed on patients who have just lost significant weight and have excess sagging tissues on the front and lateral areas of the thighs.
Preparing For A Thigh Lift
Before surgery, you will meet your surgeon in a clinic or treatment facility. During this meeting, the surgeon will examine your thighs and ask questions about your treatment goals.
During this pre-surgery meeting, the surgeon will give detailed instructions on preparing for your thigh lift procedure. Some guidelines are generic, like the ones mentioned below:
- Get medically evaluated with lab tests.
- Take certain medications or adjust your current medications as necessary for the procedure.
- Stop smoking at least six weeks before surgery.
- Avoid taking NSAIDs, aspirin, blood-thinning medications, and herbal supplements.
Thigh lift Surgery Procedure
A thigh lift is a surgical procedure and, hence, must be done in an accredited surgical facility. Here is a generalized overview of the steps involved in it.
- The surgeon will first outline the areas for incisions using a marker. This step is crucial for planning the procedure and ensuring the accuracy of incisions.
- The anesthetist will administer general anesthesia, ensuring you are asleep and do not feel pain during the procedure.
- Once you are unconscious, the surgeon will make an incision on your thighs. The incision pattern will depend on the type of thighplasty you are undergoing.
- For the inner (medial) thigh lift, the surgeon begins making the incision in the groin area, continues along the bikini line, and ends just below the buttocks. Sometimes, the incision may be extended further down the thigh.
- For the outer (lateral) thigh lift, the incision generally starts at the groin, continues around the hip, and extends across the back.
- Next, the surgeon will remove excess fat and skin, realign the tissues, and tighten the muscles.
- In the last step, they will close the incisions using sutures and apply wound dressings.
What Can I Expect After a Thigh Lift?
Right after the procedure, the surgical staff will move you to the recovery room, where you will stay until you wake up. Depending on the extent of the surgery and your individual health, you might need to stay in the hospital overnight for observation.
Before you leave the hospital, your doctor will give you detailed instructions regarding incision site care. They will likely advise you to get plenty of rest and avoid excessive movement, although moving around a little will be recommended. You should avoid all strenuous physical activities until your surgeon approves.
After surgery, you will feel swelling and soreness in the thighs that subside gradually. It will take several days for both of these to go away completely.
What is the Recovery Time for Thighplasty?
The recovery after thighplasty can vary from person to person, based on the extent of tissue redistribution or elimination during the procedure and the patient’s overall health. Recovery times can vary, but most patients achieve initial recovery in 2-3 weeks. Returning to routine activities typically takes about six weeks, depending on the individual’s healing process and the extent of the surgery.
Since your legs will be swollen and bruised, you may not be able to see the final results of your procedure immediately. It may take a couple of months to see the final results, and maintaining them requires following a proper diet and regular exercise. Please note that results may vary from person to person.
Benefits of a Thigh Lift
A thigh lift offers the following benefits:
- It removes excess skin and fat, making your thighs slimmer.
- It helps reduce the saggy and flabby appearance of thigh skin, contributing to a firmer look
- The skin tightening aspect of the procedure may improve the appearance of cellulite.
- The inner thigh lift can help reduce the likelihood of chafing by removing excess skin.
- It reduces the appearance of stretch marks.
- It may decrease the risk of skin irritation and related infections, especially in cases where excess skin causes friction.
Risks and Complications
A thigh lift is a safe procedure when performed by a skilled surgeon. While some complications may occur, they are generally rare and can be managed effectively. The benefits often outweigh the risks for most patients.
The potential risks and complications associated with thighplasty include the following:
- Bleeding and infection
- Pain, swelling, and bruising
- Fat necrosis
- Anesthesia issues
While surgical scars are a common outcome of thigh lift procedures, their extent and visibility vary based on the technique used and individual healing processes. However, cosmetic surgeons pay special attention to the strategic placement of incisions to keep those scars more discrete.
The starting cost of a Thigh Lift in Dubai averages AED 25000. The total cost of the treatment varies based on several factors, including the:
- Type of thigh lift
- The extent of treatment
- Necessary medical and lab tests
- Medications before and after surgery
- Anesthesia costs
- The surgeon’s expertise
- The clinic’s location
Thigh Lift FAQs
How Long does Thigh Lift Surgery Takes?
The duration of thigh lift surgery varies, typically ranging from 2 to 4 hours, depending on whether it involves just the inner thigh or both the inner and outer thighs.
When I can resume my work after thigh lift surgery?
Resuming work after thigh lift surgery depends on the nature of your job and the extent of the surgery. Sedentary work may be resumed in about 10 days to 2 weeks, while more physically demanding jobs may require a longer recovery period.
How Long Thigh Lift Result Lasts?
The longevity of thigh lift results varies, but with proper diet maintenance and regular exercise, results can be long-lasting. The results may last from 7 to 10 years. However, it's important to note that individual results may vary.
Is Thigh Lift Painful Procedure?
This procedure can cause discomfort, and pain management with medication is typically necessary for the initial post-operative period.
Why should I choose thigh lift surgery?
Choosing thigh lift surgery should be based on individual needs, particularly if there is excess skin and fat on the thighs that hasn't responded to diet and exercise.
Book a Consultation
Achieve more contoured thighs with potential reduction in signs of aging at Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic. For details or to book an appointment, please call +971 4 348 5575. You can also book a consultation online by filling in the form below.
Fill in the form to get a consultation100% Financing with 0% Interest