Port wine stains is a skin discoloration that usually appear during infancy in men, women and babies. Port wine stain can be caused when an area of the skin does not have any sufficient supply of nerve fibers which can cause small blood vessels called capillaries to expand. Port wine stain is a type of birthmark that belongs to the vascular birthmark side.
- 1. *Facts You Must Know
- 2. Signs & Symptoms
- 3. Port Wine Stains Causes
- 4. Treatments Available
- 5. Port Wine Stains Procedure
- 6. Our Doctors
- 7. Post-op Care
- 8. Treatment Benefits
- 9. Treatment Results
- 10. News And Media
*Facts You Must Know
Cost of Treatment
Very high Success Rate
Signs & Symptoms
Port wine stains are present at birth and vary in shapes and sizes. Early port wine stains usually appear as flat pink marks but their color deepens to dark red or purplish with time. Their texture also changes and they become thickened and pebbled from smooth flat marks. Usually they appear on face but can appear anywhere on the body.
Port Wine Stains Causes
Port wine stains are vascular birthmarks that are formed because of capillary malformations.
There are a number of options available for treating port wine stains and other birthmarks. Some effective and common options include:
- IPL treatment: IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) treatment uses light beam to eliminate port wine stains and capillary malformations. IPL is highly effective for some other conditions like pigmentation and rosacea but it is not first choice for removal of port wine stains. It requires several sessions to achieve successful outcomes.
- Laser treatment: Laser treatment is the only effective method for elimination of port wine stains. It uses laser energy to effectively remove the port wine stains and capillary malformations. It is effective for both new and old port wine stains. It also requires multiple sessions to give successful desired results.
Port Wine Stains Procedure
The procedure of laser treatment for port wine stains is a simple procedure. It takes few minutes to complete depending on the size of mark. The steps involved in the procedure include:
- Local anesthetic or numbing cream is applied on the skin to assure patients comfort during the procedure.
- Then laser device is moved across the treatment area.
- Narrow beam of light emitted by laser lightens the port wine stain and treats the capillary malformations.
- After the treatment is done, ice packs and protective ointment are used to reduce the discomfort.
- The port wine stain fades after every successive session until it is eliminated completely.
You will feel swelling and bruising immediately after the procedure. The treated area will also feel like sun burn but this sensation will be temporary. All the side effects will subside completely after a couple of days. After laser treatment, you will be required to follow strict regimen to keep the results last longer and avoid any complications or risks. Some common aftercare instructions include:
- Relieve the discomfort and swelling with icepacks.
- Avoid exposing the treated areas to the sunlight.
There are many benefits of laser treatment for port wine stains. Some of them are given below:
- Port Wine Stains treatment is the only most effective treatment for port wine stains.
- Port Wine Stains treatment is non-surgical and virtually pain-free procedure.
The final results of the treatment become apparent after few weeks and mostly they are permanent. However, in some cases port wine stains may return. In this case, you will have to repeat the treatment.