Liposuction, or lipoplasty, is a surgical procedure that uses suction to remove excess fat from various body areas, such as the abdomen, arms, neck, hips, thighs, and buttocks. This fat-removal process sculpts the treated area to improve its contours. For this reason, it is also known as body contouring treatment.
Even though liposuction is a fat removal treatment, it does not help with weight loss. It only removes subcutaneous fat, helping you improve your body tone.
If you want to lose significant weight, you can benefit more from diet, exercise, and medication. You may also consider surgery that helps with weight loss, such as bariatric surgery.
Table of Contents
- 1 What are Liposuction Treatment Areas?
- 2 Types of Liposuction
- 3 Who Are Good Candidates For Liposuction?
- 4 Liposuction Before and After:
- 5 Preparing for Liposuction
- 6 Liposuction Procedure
- 7 Recovery after Liposuction
- 8 Aftercare
- 9 Liposuction Risks and Complications
- 10 What is the cost of Liposuction in Dubai?
- 11 Liposuction FAQs
- 11.1 How much weight can you lose with Liposuction?
- 11.2 Are Liposuction results permanent?
- 11.3 What is the recovery period and downtime?
- 11.4 For how long do I have to take off from work?
- 11.5 Is Liposuction effective?
- 11.6 Why should I opt for Liposuction?
- 11.7 How soon can you see the results of Liposuction?
- 11.8 Which method of Liposuction is suitable for me?
- 11.9 Will Liposuction Leave Sagging Skin?
- 11.10 Is Liposuction Safe for Health?
- 11.11 Which Liposuction is Best?
- 11.12 Will my waist get smaller after Liposuction?
- 11.13 Is liposuction covered under health insurance?
- 12 Our Liposuction Surgeons
- 13 Liposuction at Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic
What are Liposuction Treatment Areas?
Body areas where you can remove fat with liposuction include:
- Neck and chin (double chin liposuction)
- Upper arms
- Thighs and hips
- Chest and back
Types of Liposuction
There are multiple types of liposuction; each type uses a different technique than the others. Your surgeon will choose a method depending on your requirements and the treatment area.
Suction-Assisted Liposuction (SAL)
SAL is the standard liposuction procedure to remove fat from the treatment area. This procedure involves injecting a mixture of lidocaine and epinephrine through a small incision into the area to be treated. This helps numb the treatment region, constricts blood vessels, and aids fat removal. After that, the surgeon inserts a cannula and moves it back and forth to break up fat cells. Then, a thin tube is inserted under the skin. This tube is connected to a vacuum device that suctions the broken fat.
Ultrasound-Assisted Liposuction (UAL)
UAL is usually combined with standard liposuction. It uses a special cannula that vibrates rapidly and emits ultrasound energy. When inserted under the skin, this cannula uses this energy to liquefy fat cells, making them easier to remove through suction. One of the modern advancements in UAL is VASER liposuction, which offers superior control, delivers smoother results, and causes less pain and swelling.
Laser-Assisted Liposuction (LAL)
LAL involves inserting a laser fiber through the incision under the skin. The tip of this fiber sends laser energy into its surroundings, liquefying fat cells in the region. These fat cells are then removed through suction.
Power-Assisted Liposuction (PAL)
PAL involves inserting a thin tube under the skin. This tube moves back and forth quickly, causing fat in the area to disintegrate. The fat is then removed using a suction tube. Power-assisted liposuction is usually less painful and more accurate than other liposuction methods.
J Plasma Liposuction
This procedure combines traditional liposuction with cold helium plasma to remove excess subcutaneous fat and tighten the skin. This technique can help you achieve a more toned and contoured appearance complemented well by a skin-tightening effect. J Plasma liposuction is ideal for patients with some skin laxity in the treatment area.
Who Are Good Candidates For Liposuction?
The following individuals are generally good candidates for liposuction:
- Adults with elastic skin, good muscle tone, and body weight not exceeding 30% of the ideal range
- Individuals with no life-threatening conditions or ailments that compromise healing
- People who have realistic expectations from the treatment
Liposuction Before and After:
Preparing for Liposuction
Your surgeon may ask you to follow the steps below to prepare for liposuction:
- Get all your lab tests and medical evaluations done.
- Take medications that your surgeon prescribes.
- Stop smoking at least six weeks before the procedure.
- Stop taking NSAIDs, aspirin, and herbal supplements to reduce the risk of bleeding.
Here is a generalized overview of the liposuction procedure:
- Your surgeon or anesthesia expert will administer anesthesia to make the liposuction process painless. Depending on your preferences or treatment requirements, you will be given local, regional, or general anesthesia.
- Then, small incisions will be made in the treatment area.
- A thin cannula will be inserted under the skin through those incisions. This cannula is usually connected to a vacuum device.
- The inserted cannula will be moved back and forth, breaking up the target fat. The dislodged fat is then suctioned out using the vacuum device.
- Once the required amount of fat has been removed, the surgeon may inject medications or salt water into the treated area. This step helps reduce the risk of pain and bleeding.
- In the final step, the incisions are closed using sutures. The surgeon may place drainage tubes to remove excess fluid or blood.
Recovery after Liposuction
Liposuction is a surgical procedure, so pain and swelling are a normal part of the recovery. You will probably have swelling and bruising in the treated area for 10-14 days or even longer. There may also be a watery discharge from the incisions, which generally clears up in a few days.
Your doctor may prescribe compression garments to be wrapped around the treated area to reduce pain and swelling. These support garments should be worn for at least three or four weeks, depending on how quickly you recover.
You may resume your routine activities after a few weeks or when you feel comfortable. Your recovery may take significant time if your liposuction involved removing a lot of fat.
Proper aftercare will help you get the desired outcome from your liposuction. Here are some general guidelines to follow after the procedure:
- Have a light walk when you have enough energy to get up. However, be sure to avoid strenuous activity for at least six weeks.
- You may engage in light exercise after 3-4 weeks, though.
- Get enough rest during the first few weeks after surgery.
- Eat fresh fruits and veggies to reduce inflammation and accelerate recovery.
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
- Avoid smoking for at least six weeks.
Liposuction Risks and Complications
Due to the medical advancements in medical and cosmetic surgery, liposuction comes with fewer and rare risks. These risks may include reaction to anesthesia and bleeding. Other complications include the following:
- Fluid buildups – These buildups are formed under the skin and are usually temporary. These are called seromas. These can be drained using a syringe.
- Numbness – This can be temporary or permanent numbness in the treated area.
- Contour irregularities – Uneven fat removal can lead to a bumpy or wavy skin surface in the treated region.
Please note that risks and complications are less likely when you get liposuction from a doctor with sufficient expertise.
What is the cost of Liposuction in Dubai?
Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic offers a competitive price for Liposuction, starting from AED 25,000. We have easy installment plans for our patients.
The Cost of Liposuction may vary because it depends on the following factors:
- The size and number of areas being treated.
- The type of Liposuction technique chosen.
- The clinic’s location
- The expertise of the surgeon
Does liposuction remove fat permanently?
Yes, liposuction permanently removes fat cells from the treatment area, improving your body contours and giving you a more toned appearance. However, significant weight gain resulting in fat cell growth around the treated region can compromise the results.
How much fat can you remove with liposuction?
Liposuction can eliminate 5000ml or 11 pounds of fat from your body. This procedure only removes subcutaneous fat, which is present between the skin and muscles.
Is liposuction safe?
Liposuction is considered safe for most individuals due to the advanced treatment protocols commonly followed during the treatment. However, like other surgical procedures, it must be performed after a thorough medical examination to rule out the risk of complications. During the examination, doctors will check your overall health and whether you have any medical condition that could compromise post-op healing.
How much weight can you lose with Liposuction?
The safe extraction limit for a single session of Liposuction is about 5 liters or 11 pounds. Sometimes, we can stretch up to 6-7 liters if there is minimal bleeding, the patient is young and healthy, and one night stay in the hospital is planned.
Are Liposuction results permanent?
Yes. If you maintain good eating and exercise habits after getting Liposuction, the fat will not come back. You need to maintain stable body weight by exercising regularly and following a healthy diet regimen. In this way, you can retain the results permanently.
What is the recovery period and downtime?
The recovery period of Liposuction can vary from a few days to weeks based on the size of the area treated. If an expert surgeon has performed the treatment, the recovery period will be short. You can start walking once the anesthesia wears off. Also, you can resume your daily work when the swelling subsides after a few days. Surgeons might prescribe compression garments and medications for fast recovery. Take a few days off after the Liposuction surgery for rest and do not resume exercise before one week at least.
For how long do I have to take off from work?
You should take off for almost ten days or more based on the size of the targeted area and the amount of fat removed.
Is Liposuction effective?
Yes, Liposuction is a very effective body contouring technique. It gives long-lasting results and reshapes your body by removing extra fats.
Why should I opt for Liposuction?
People with stubborn body fats that don’t respond to exercise or dieting can opt for Liposuction. It will help eliminate fat pockets in various body areas and give you a contoured body. Apart from body contouring and aesthetic reasons, Liposuction can also be opted to treat certain medical conditions like:
How soon can you see the results of Liposuction?
It takes 2-4 months to see the final results of Liposuction. However, the majority of the effects are visible within 4-8 weeks as the swelling subsides.
Which method of Liposuction is suitable for me?
Only an expert Liposuction surgeon can decide the best suitable Liposuction technique for you. It is because every method has specific candidacy criteria, pros, and cons. Therefore, consult with the surgeon before undergoing Liposuction. They will choose a technique depending on the size and number of body areas to be treated, the amount of fat being removed, skin elasticity, and lifestyle factors.
Will Liposuction Leave Sagging Skin?
Liposuction does not leave sagging skin if you are young and the elasticity of your skin is good enough. There are chances people with old age will experience slight sagging skin. Discuss with our expert plastic surgeons at Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic. They will guide you after assessing your current health condition and age factor.
Is Liposuction Safe for Health?
Yes, Liposuction treatment is safe and risk-free. In this aesthetic surgical procedure, the surgeon only removes fat deposits that prevent the patient from having a perfectly ideal body look. The surgery is done under anesthesia which ensures a pain-free surgery.
Which Liposuction is Best?
Only an expert Liposuction surgeon can decide the best suitable Liposuction technique for you. It is because every method has specific candidacy criteria, pros, and cons.
Therefore, consult with our surgeon at Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic before undergoing Liposuction. They will choose a technique depending on the size and number of body areas to be treated, the amount of fat being removed, skin elasticity, and lifestyle factors.
The most accurate and traditional form of liposuction is called Smart Lipo. One of the key benefits of Smart Lipo is; that people can expect a tight and flawless finish from sculpting in any area of their body, even on the face. It also offers the quickest recovery period out of all liposuction procedures.
Will my waist get smaller after Liposuction?
After stomach liposuction, you will see a slimmer waist if your visceral fat is low and only subcutaneous fat needs to be removed. You may even lose between 1 – 3 inches from your waist.
Is liposuction covered under health insurance?
Medical insurance does not pay for liposuction because it is typically performed for cosmetic purposes. But if it's done for a medical reason, insurance might pay for it. Please confirm your insurance eligibility, including which expenses are covered and which are not, in advance.
Our Liposuction Surgeons
Liposuction at Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic
Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic is the best option for you if you want to undergo Liposuction treatment. Being the pioneer of cosmetic surgery services in the Middle East region, we have earned the status of the best Liposuction clinic in UAE. Our expert plastic surgeons consist of some big names who possess extensive experience and have worked internationally. They are determined to provide the best results and assist you in achieving a sculpted body. We offer state-of-the-art facilities to our patients and emphasize patient safety.
Consult an Expert
Achieve your dream contour with liposuction at Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic. Book a consultation now by calling +971 4 348 5575 or filling out the form below.
Fill in the form to get a consultation100% Financing with 0% Interest