Laser hair removal is a cosmetic medical procedure that uses a concentrated beam of laser light to reduce unwanted body hair. When directed to the target body region, the light energy in the laser beam gets absorbed into the hair’s dark pigment (melanin) and transforms into heat. This heat damages hair follicles (tube-shaped sacs within the skin that produce hair), inhibiting or delaying future hair growth.
Laser hair removal effectively reduces unwanted hair in the treated area. While the results of this treatment are longer-lasting than most of the other conventional hair removal methods, they are not always permanent. However, with regular touch-up sessions, hair regrowth in the treated region can be reduced to a minimum.
Table of Contents
- 1 Who is an Ideal Candidate for Laser Hair Removal?
- 2 Laser Hair Removal Treatment Areas
- 3 Before and After Result
- 4 What Are The Benefits Of Laser Hair Removal?
- 5 Laser Technologies For Hair Removal
- 6 Pre-treatment Care
- 7 Procedure of Laser Hair Removal
- 8 Post-Treatment Care
- 9 What Are The Expected Results Of Laser Hair Removal?
- 10 What Are The Risks Of Laser Hair Removal?
- 11 Why Choose Dubai Cosmetic Surgery
- 12 Laser Hair Removal Cost
- 13 Laser Hair Removal FAQs
- 14 Our Specialists
- 15 Schedule A Consultation
Who is an Ideal Candidate for Laser Hair Removal?
You are an ideal candidate for laser hair reduction if you have dark hair and light skin. However, modern-day lasers come with sophisticated settings that can be configured and adjusted to various skin tones, allowing people of color to benefit from laser hair removal.
As a rule of thumb, a dermatologist will thoroughly evaluate your skin tone and hair color to determine whether you are an ideal candidate for laser hair removal.
Some factors that may contraindicate laser hair removal include
- Being pregnant
- Having skin infections
- Being on certain medications
Therefore, you should speak to your doctor before laser hair removal if you face any of these cases.
Laser Hair Removal Treatment Areas
Laser hair removal can be performed on any body area except the region close to the eyes. Some body areas, however, are treated more commonly than others. Those include
- Bikini line
Before and After Result
What Are The Benefits Of Laser Hair Removal?
Laser hair removal offers several benefits, some of which are listed below.
- It reduces unwanted hair for a long time.
- It is less painful than most hair removal methods. According to most candidates, the sensation caused by a laser pulse is similar to that caused by a rubber band snapping against the skin. However, it may also depend on your pain threshold.
- It significantly reduces the chances of ingrown hairs.
- Laser hair removal can work on any body area. However, it is avoided in areas close to the eyes.
- Lasers are precise, which allows you to remove hair around smaller body areas like the upper lip or hairline.
Laser Technologies For Hair Removal
Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic uses Candela Gentlemax Pro for effective hair removal. This advanced laser system is based on the following technologies
- Uses the 755 nm wavelength
- Suitable for fair skin (matching skin types I to III on the Fitzpatrick scale)
- Uses the 1064 nm wavelength
- Ideal for darker skin tones (matching skin types IV to VI on the Fitzpatrick scale)
Adequate pre-treatment care increases the likelihood of the desired outcome of laser hair removal. Therefore, it is essential to stick to the guidelines provided by the dermatologist before the procedure.
Here is a list of standard instructions to follow before laser hair removal
- Use sunscreen of at least SPF 50 when going out in the sun.
- Limit sun exposure to no more than 30 minutes, even if you wear sunscreen.
- Avoid tanning beds or sunless tanning products at least six weeks before the treatment.
- Avoid heat treatments like steam rooms and saunas for at least seven days before the treatment.
- Shave the treatment area 12-24 hours before laser hair removal. In some cases, dermatologists might recommend shaving the area 48 hours before the treatment.
- Make sure that the treatment area is free of makeup and cosmetic products at the time of the treatment.
Procedure of Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal is usually performed in the following steps
- Your dermatologist will give you protective goggles to prevent the laser impact on your eyes. It is a mandatory step if the treatment area is close to the eyes.
- Then, topical anesthesia will be applied to the treatment area to prevent discomfort caused by the laser beam.
- A handheld laser instrument will be pressed to your skin. The tip of this instrument usually includes a cooling device, which not only soothes laser-induced discomfort but also maintains a specific distance between the laser source and the skin.
- The laser beam will be directed to the skin area with hair follicles. The light energy travels down the hair shaft to the follicle and transforms into heat, damaging the follicle’s tissues to inhibit hair growth. The discomfort caused by the laser’s heat is quickly soothed by the cooling device.
- The dermatologist will continue the process until the specified skin area is treated. Treatment is generally divided into numerous sessions for large-area or full-body laser hair removal.
- Avoid plucking or waxing any hair left on the treated region.
- It may take a few days for your skin to heal. Until then, avoid exfoliating the treated area.
- Avoid hot showers, saunas, steam rooms, or other skin heating treatments for at least 48 hours.
- Use vitamin E cream or ointment prescribed by your dermatologist.
- Avoid direct sun exposure for two to four weeks or as per your dermatologist’s instructions.
- Avoid using deodorants for at least three days. This instruction is usually given to candidates receiving laser hair removal at the armpits.
- Do not scratch the treated area, as it can lead to scabbing and subsequent scarring.
- Avoid physical exertion for at least 24 hours to prevent excessive sweating and subsequent skin irritation.
What Are The Expected Results Of Laser Hair Removal?
After the first session, you will likely see a hair reduction of 10% to 25%. However, the exact percentage will depend on the hair thickness, treated area, laser type, and skin tone.
Most patients require two to six laser hair removal treatments in a series to achieve the desired results. However, some patients may need more treatment sessions. The sessions are generally spaced four to six weeks apart for the face and four to eight weeks for the body.
Laser hair removal can result in hair-free skin that can last several months or even a few years. The hair will eventually regrow in the treated region but will be lesser, finer, and lighter colored than before the treatment. With regular touch-up sessions, you can maintain treatment results for life.
What Are The Risks Of Laser Hair Removal?
Common but temporary complications of laser hair removal include
Some less common but more severe risks of laser hair removal are
- Pigment changes (temporary or permanent)
- Blistering and Burns
- Skin Infection
- Crusting or Scabbing
- Allergic Reaction or Skin Irritation
It’s important to note that laser hair removal can be unsafe and cause significant skin damage if performed by inexperienced providers. Therefore, it is always necessary to get this treatment from qualified dermatologists or laser specialists.
Why Choose Dubai Cosmetic Surgery
All our doctors at Dubai Cosmetic Surgery are board certified and have disguising experience in Laser treatments. we use the most advanced machine “Candela GentleMax Pro” for hair removal for both men and women.
Laser Hair Removal Cost
The cost of laser hair removal in Dubai starts from AED 100. The exact price of this treatment varies from person to person based on the following factors
- The size of the treatment area.
- The density of hair in the treatment area.
- Laser technology used for the treatment.
- The practitioner’s expertise.
- The location of the treatment facility.
Laser Hair Removal FAQs
Does laser removal hair permanently?
No, it will make the hair very thin and short that will not feel to remove. Hair keeps growing, but laser makes its growth slow. You need to take maintenance sessions for long-lasting effects.
Does laser hair removal hurt?
The procedure is a non-surgical treatment so minimum pain is involved in laser hair removal. However, you will feel like pins are pricking your skin but it all depends on the pain tolerance level of a person.
Is laser hair removal treatment risky?
Laser hair removal is not a risky procedure. There is little to no risk involved in the procedure. Any irritation that you feel will diminish in a month.
Should I shave before laser hair removal?
Make sure to shave the night before or the morning of your laser hair removal session. This precaution is important because the hair would not absorb most of the laser's energy.
When is the best time to get laser hair removal?
The best time to get laser hair removal is fall or winter. You will have less sun exposure which is good after taking the laser session. The laser works best on pale skin and dark hair.
Schedule A Consultation
Dubai Cosmetic Surgery offers the best laser hair removal treatment through its highly qualified team of experts and state-of-the-art equipment. For more details, call us at +971 4 348 5575. You can also book a consultation online by filling out the form below.
Fill in the form to get a consultation100% Financing with 0% Interest