Skin tags are soft growths above the skin connected through fleshy peduncles or stalks. Skin tags are composed of loose collagen fibers and blood vessels surrounded by skin. They are covered by the epidermis. They commonly appear in the areas like:
- Upper chest
- Under the breasts
Skin tags do not cause cancer or any other diseases. They are also usually painless. However, they can affect your appearance when they develop in visible body areas.
Table of Contents
What Are The Causes Of Skin Tags?
Skin tags often develop due to friction and are associated with skin rubbing against skin or clothing. They likely form when the skin rubs against itself. This is why skin tags are more common among overweight people with deep skin folds. These lesions may also develop due to clothes rubbing against the skin.
While anyone can develop skin tags, People with type-2 diabetes may have a higher prevalence of skin tags. Many pregnant women develop skin tags, possibly due to hormonal changes; these may or may not disappear after childbirth.
Treatments to Remove Skin Tags
Some small skin tags may fall off naturally without the need for medical intervention. Some skin tags, however, can persist and may need skin treatment. You can eliminate these growths and regain a spotless appearance with multiple treatment options.
The most common treatments for skin tags include the following.
Surgical removal of skin tags is a minor procedure generally performed in an outpatient setting. It is usually performed under local anesthesia and may be done using one of the following methods:
- Cauterization: This technique uses heat to remove a skin tag.
- Electrocautery: This method uses an electric current to remove the skin tag.
- Cryosurgery: During this procedure, a doctor applies liquid nitrogen to the skin tag to freeze it, leading to its removal.
- Ligation: Ligation involves using a small band or thread to cut off the blood supply to the skin tag, causing it to fall off.
- Surgical excision: Surgical excision involves removing the skin tag by cutting it at its base with surgical scissors or a scalpel. The need for bandages afterward is determined by the size of the skin tag.
Laser Skin Tag Removal
Laser treatment can be effective for skin tag removal. This procedure involves directing a laser beam at the affected area. This beam creates microscopic wounds, instigating a healing response led by stimulated collagen production. The laser treatment targets the skin tag directly, leading to its removal without significant impact on surrounding tissues.
Side Effects of Skin Tag Removal
Skin tag removal in Dubai is an overall safe procedure. But like any other medical treatment, it can cause some potential side effects, some of which are as follows:
- Temporary minor pain or discomfort, which typically subsides within a few days.
- Minor and short-term bleeding after the procedures like excision.
- A rare risk of infection.
- There is a possibility of scarring, which may fade over time, but some scars could be permanent.
- Changes in skin color (hyperpigmentation or hypopigmentation).
Skin tag removal aftercare helps ensure smoother recovery and desirable results. Fortunately, it comprises straightforward skincare steps, which may include the following:
- Some specific treatments conclude with the application of a bandage or dressing. Your doctor will describe how to change the dressing daily or after a particular duration. Be sure to follow those instructions diligently.
- It’s important to keep the treated area clean and dry. Gently pat the area dry after washing, avoiding rubbing or scratching.
- Avoid picking at or scratching the treated area.
- Apply antibiotic ointment if prescribed by your doctor to prevent infection.
Recovery After Skin Tag Removal
The recovery duration after skin tag removal can vary significantly from case to case, depending on the technique used to remove the skin tag.
Here is what you can expect during the recovery phase:
- The heat from electrocautery and cauterization can cause scab formation in place of the skin tag. It can take about one week to heal.
- Recovery from cryosurgery for skin tag removal typically ranges from one to three weeks, depending on the size of the treated area.
- Initial healing after ligation or excision of a skin tag typically takes about a week, though complete healing may take longer.
- Laser skin tag removal is generally a less invasive procedure with a typically quick recovery period.
Cost of Skin Tag Removal
The cost of skin tag removal in Dubai can vary significantly from person to person, depending on the following factors:
- Treatment method used
- Number and size of skin tags
- The expertise of the practitioner
- Location and reputation of the clinic or treatment facility
Schedule A Consultation
If you are planning to undergo treatment for skin tag removal in Dubai, you’ll be happy to know that we’re offering consultations to all our patients. You need to fill out the form below, and one of our representatives will get in touch with you shortly. We will be more than happy to arrange a consultation session for you with one of our highly trained and qualified skincare experts. You can discuss anything that is on your mind—without any follow-up obligations.
Fill in the form to get a consultation100% Financing with 0% Interest