A tummy tuck or abdominoplasty is a cosmetic surgical procedure to improve the shape of the abdomen. This treatment involves removing the excess skin and fat, tightening the connective tissue using stitches, and repositioning the skin to give your stomach a more toned appearance. This procedure is typically performed on individuals with a weak lower abdominal wall or excess skin or fat in the area surrounding the belly button.
Sometimes, liposuction is combined with a tummy tuck to sculpt the abdomen.
Not only does a tummy tuck improve the appearance of the stomach, but it also boosts self-confidence and body image.
That said, Abdominoplasty should not be viewed as a replacement for a healthy weight loss strategy or a regular exercise regimen.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is The Aim Of A Tummy Tuck?
- 2 What Are The Types Of A Tummy Tuck?
- 3 How To Prepare For A Tummy Tuck?
- 4 Tummy Tuck Procedure
- 5 Recovery
- 6 Aftercare
- 7 Results
- 8 Cost of Tummy Tuck
- 9 Will my scar be noticeable after a tummy tuck?
- 10 How do I decide between different types of tummy tucks?
- 11 Can an extended tummy tuck help remove excess skin from the front and sides of my abdomen?
- 12 When is an extended abdominoplasty needed?
- 13 Are the results of a tummy tuck permanent?
- 14 What should you ask the surgeon before getting a tummy tuck?
- 15 Tummy Tuck FAQs
- 16 Surgeons
- 17 Get Free Consultations
What Is The Aim Of A Tummy Tuck?
The main aim of a tummy tuck is to remove extra fat and loose skin that remain around the abdomen after significant weight loss. This treatment is also used to tighten muscles and fascia in women after their pregnancy. By removing extra tissue and tightening abdominal muscles, this treatment helps you obtain a flatter abdominal profile and a more sculpted waistline.
What Are The Types Of A Tummy Tuck?
Every patient has unique requirements when it comes to abdominal sculpting or reshaping. Fortunately, various tummy tuck options exist to meet those requirements. Those options differ based on incision patterns and whether the excess tissues are removed or tightened.
Here is a brief explanation of the types of tummy tucks performed at Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic.
Full Tummy Tuck
A standard or full tummy tuck is a common type of abdominoplasty to reshape the abdominal area around the belly button.
A full tummy tuck is most often performed on individuals who have recently been through pregnancy or have shed significant weight. It involves a horizontal incision between the belly button and pubic area, extending from hip to hip. This incision allows the removal of excess fat and skin and tightening of abdominal muscles. This process may also include treating diastasis recti (abdominal muscle separation due to excessive stretching) and belly button repositioning.
Mini Tummy Tuck
A mini tummy tuck, or mini-abdominoplasty, removes excess fat and skin like a full tummy tuck. However, it is more suitable for patients who require less correction. This procedure involves a smaller incision, usually 4-8 inches long. This incision is typically made under the navel, just above the pubic area. A mini tummy tuck only treats issues under the navel, recontouring the lower abdominal region.
Extended Tummy Tuck
An extended tummy tuck involves a longer incision across the abdomen, extending around the hips. This procedure is more extensive than a full tummy tuck as it involves fat reduction and distribution in the thigh region as well as the abdomen. This treatment typically removes excess skin and fat from the abdomen and flanks. It also involves navel repositioning.
Fleur-De-Lis Tummy Tuck
The Fleur-De-Lis Tummy Tuck helps remove the excess skin from a significant portion of the midsection. It involves a horizontal incision, similar to the one made during a full tummy tuck, and a vertical incision that moves up the middle of the abdomen. This allows the surgeon to remove extra skin and tighten abdominal muscles across a broader region.
How To Prepare For A Tummy Tuck?
Your surgeon will give you pre-op instructions to prepare for a tummy tuck. These instructions can be specific to your particular case, but some are standard.
General pre-op instructions for a tummy tuck include the following:
- Be sure to take all your prescription medicine.
- Stop smoking at least six weeks before the procedure.
- Avoid NSAIDs and herbal supplements.
- Eat a healthy diet.
Tummy Tuck Procedure
A tummy tuck is typically performed under general anesthesia. The steps of the procedure may vary depending on the type of tummy tuck being performed. We will describe the steps involved in mini and full tummy tucks.
The procedural steps of a mini tummy tuck may include the following:
- The surgeon makes an incision between the navel and the pubic area.
- Then, they separate the skin from the abdominal wall around the incision.
- The excess fat and skin is removed.
- The skin above and below the incision is pulled, combined, and stitched.
The steps of a full tummy tuck procedure are as follows:
- The surgeon makes an incision from hip to hip, just above the pubic area.
- Then, they make a curved incision around the belly button to free it from the surrounding skin and tissues.
- The skin is separated from the abdominal wall.
- Abdominal muscles are realigned, and excess skin and fat are removed.
- A new hole in the skin is made for belly button placement.
- All the incisions are closed using sutures.
- The tummy tuck or abdominoplasty procedure can take 2-5 hours, depending on the degree of correction. You may need to stay in the hospital overnight or longer.
You may be unable to stand up straight for the first few weeks after a tummy tuck, so you must be careful when moving around. You will also feel tired during this time. The initial recovery may take 2-4 weeks, while significant recovery generally takes six weeks. Once you feel energized enough, you can resume your job and begin engaging in light exercise.
Proper aftercare reduces the risk of infections and other complications, increasing the likelihood of a smoother recovery and the desired outcome. Here are some generalized guidelines to follow after a tummy tuck.
- Be sure to practice optimum wound care to prevent infections and complications. Keep the wound dry until your doctor allows you to wash the incision site.
- Use all the topical and oral medications prescribed by your treatment provider.
- Start your physical activity with a light walk five days after the treatment. Rest when you feel tired. Increase the number of steps every day.
- Do not engage in strenuous physical activities for at least six weeks.
- Eat healthy foods and take prescribed medications.
- Increase your fiber intake and stay hydrated to avoid constipation.
A tummy tuck removes the excess skin and fat from the abdomen. It can repair separated muscles like diastasis recti, giving the appearance of a more toned abdomen. These results are long-lasting or even permanent as long as you maintain a healthy body weight.
Cost of Tummy Tuck
The starting cost of a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty in Dubai averages AED 30000. The exact price in each case may depend on a number of factors, including the ones listed below:
- The amount of surgical correction needed
- The type of tummy tuck finalized
- The surgeon’s skill and reputation
- The geographic location of the treatment facility
Will my scar be noticeable after a tummy tuck?
While a tummy tuck does leave a scar, its visibility varies depending on surgical technique, patient healing, and post-op care. Some patients might have scars that fade significantly over time with a diligent skincare routine.
How do I decide between different types of tummy tucks?
The most essential factor in determining the appropriate type of tummy tuck is the amount and location of excess fat and skin on your abdomen. Other factors that come into play include your body shape and overall health.
Can an extended tummy tuck help remove excess skin from the front and sides of my abdomen?
Yes, an extended tummy tuck not only removes excess fat from your abdomen but also in the flanks. This helps sculpt both sides of the abdomen, helping you achieve a more contoured and slimmer appearance.
When is an extended abdominoplasty needed?
An extended tummy tuck removes fat and skin from the abdomen, flanks, and lateral thighs. Therefore, you may need this treatment if you recently had significant weight loss and now have excess skin and fat in these body areas.
Are the results of a tummy tuck permanent?
Yes, a tummy tuck is designed to give permanent results, as the removed tissues do not grow back. However, factors like aging, gravity, fat accumulation around the treated region, and subsequent pregnancies can alter the results of a tummy tuck.
What should you ask the surgeon before getting a tummy tuck?
There is a long list of questions you can ask your surgeon before getting a tummy tuck. Some of those questions are as follows:
- Are you a board-certified plastic surgeon?
- How much experience do you have performing tummy tucks?
- Am I a good candidate?
- What will the tummy tuck procedure involve?
- Will I have prominent incision scars on the abdomen?
- How long will it take for the results to become visible?
- What is involved in the recovery after a tummy tuck?
- How long will the results of my tummy tuck last?
- For how long should I take off work after the procedure?
- Will pregnancy negate my tummy tuck results?
- What will my tummy tuck cost?
Tummy Tuck FAQs
Is abdominoplasty worth it?
According to RealSelf, 96% of patients report that abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) is worth the cost scarring, and downtime.
What happens if I get pregnant after tummy tuck?
The doctor advises avoiding getting pregnant after abdominoplasty for almost a year. The reason is your abdominal muscles lose again because of pregnancy. However, both the mother and child remain safe.
What is the tummy tuck surgery recovery period and downtime?
It takes six weeks for a patient to recover after undergoing tummy tuck surgery.
What can I expect after tummy tuck surgery?
The belly skin will be mostly numb for several weeks. Also, after surgery, there will be swelling in your belly.
What is the best age for a tummy tuck?
As long as you are determined to maintain a good diet and exercise and have no plan to get pregnant again, any age between 30s to 70s is the right age.
Get Free Consultations
At Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic, you can get tummy tuck treatment at an affordable price. Book yourself a free consultation with one of our expert plastic surgeons to discuss the details of the procedure. Fill out the form given below and one of our staff members will get back to you to book your appointment.
Fill in the form to get a consultation100% Financing with 0% Interest