A tummy tuck also called abdominoplasty is a major cosmetic surgery that involves removing saggy skin and extra fats from the abdomen. People, after trying different exercises and following a strict diet often don’t get the expected results. Therefore, as a last resort, tummy tuck is done.
Due to ageing, significant weight loss, and pregnancy, the skin becomes less elastic and therefore people undergo tummy tuck to get rid of it.
Table of Contents
- 1 The ideal candidate for tummy tuck
- 2 What Are the Goals?
- 3 Benefits
- 4 Types of tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)
- 5 What Are the Alternate Treatment Options?
- 6 How to prepare for Tummy Tuck?
- 7 Tummy Tuck procedure
- 8 Post-op Care
- 9 Tummy Tuck Recovery
- 10 Results
- 11 How much does a tummy tuck cost in Dubai?
- 12 what are the complications after tummy tuck surgery?
- 13 Who should not consider a tummy tuck surgery?
- 14 Surgeons
- 15 Tummy Tuck FAQs
- 16 Get Free Consultations
The ideal candidate for tummy tuck
A tummy tuck is beneficial for both men and women. You may be an ideal candidate for a tummy tuck in Dubai if:
- People who have had significant weight loss should consider tummy tuck for loose skin.
- You have stretch marks on your tummy.
- Fat in your tummy area is unresponsive to diet and exercise.
- Women with several pregnancies can find tummy tuck the best solution for tightening abdominal muscles and getting rid of loose skin.
- Abdominal surgery like C-Section leaves the abdominal muscles loose. Therefore, the tummy tuck is the best solution for tightening them again.
What Are the Goals?
The purpose of tummy tuck surgery is to improve the appearance of a sagging and protruding tummy by:
- Flattening your belly.
- Making your abdomen tighter and smoother.
- Defining your waistline.
There are many benefits of tummy tuck surgery some of the major benefits include:
- It makes your tummy flattened, firmer, and toned.
- Your waist appears tighter and slimmer.
- Removes the stretch marks from your abdomen.
- Improves the contours and postures of your body.
- Offers long-lasting results.
- Boosts your confidence and self-esteem.
- Tight abdominal muscles can help in alleviating back pain
Types of tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)
Generally, there are three types of abdominoplasty.
- Complete Abdominoplasty
- Mini Abdominoplasty
- Circumferential Abdominoplasty
Complete abdominoplasty is a major cosmetic surgery in which the surgeon cuts the abdomen from hip bone to hip bone to contour the skin, muscle, and tissue. This surgery also involves moving the belly button and then fixing it again at the end of surgery. A complete tummy tuck can last up to 5 hours depending upon the condition.
Mini abdominoplasty is done on people whose fat deposits are located below the belly button. Apart from that, your belly button may or may not be removed. It can be completed in only 1-2 hours.
This method is used to remove extra skin and fats from the back and abdomen. It can also enhance your body shape from all sides.
What Are the Alternate Treatment Options?
Some other options are also available for improving the aesthetic appearance of an abdominal area, though not effective like a tummy tuck. These options are:
- Liposuction – can be used as an alternative to tummy tuck surgery if a patient’s problem is not the sagging skin but the extra fatty tissues in the abdomen area. It removes the excess fat in the tummy area and improves the contours of the tummy, leaving minimal scars.
- Laser skin tightening – is suitable for those patients who experience mild sagging in the abdominal area.
How to prepare for Tummy Tuck?
During your pre-op visit, a plastic surgeon will guide you about all the important factors associated with the surgery like which technique is suitable for you and what you can expect from the surgery. He will also give you some pre-surgical instructions that will help you in preparing for the surgery. Some common instructions are:
- Get all the prescribed lab tests done.
- Smoking can delay healing and may increase complications. Therefore, you should stop taking all sorts of nicotine for at least one month before surgery.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet before the surgery. It is not necessary to put yourself on a diet before the tummy tuck surgery
- Your doctor may guide you to stop all those medications like aspirin that can thin your blood. So, follow the doctor’s guidelines.
What Should You Ask the Surgeon Before Getting Tummy Tuck?
Some questions need clarification and therefore you should ask them your doctor during the consultation.
- Am I a good candidate for the tummy tuck?
- What is your qualification? Are you a board-certified plastic surgeon?
- What are the possible complications which I will face after the surgery?
- How long does a tummy tuck procedure last?
- Will there be any visible scars on my body?
Tummy Tuck procedure
The surgery is performed on an outpatient basis and the duration varies from one patient to another depending on several factors like extent and type of surgery. The steps for a tummy tuck procedure are:
Step#1– Usually, tummy tuck surgery is performed under general anesthesia but if performed using the endoscopic method, local anesthesia can also be an option.
Step#2 – Then the surgeon will make incisions at the appropriate sites. The length and site of incisions vary according to the type of surgery. Incisions are made:
- Horizontally between the belly button and pubic hairline and around the navel for full or traditional abdominoplasty.
- Horizontally between the navel and pubic hairline only for a mini-abdominoplasty.
- A few small incisions are made in or around the belly button and along the pubic line for the endoscopic tummy tuck.
Step3# – After that, the surgeon will make the required alterations for improving the appearance of the abdomen which include:
- Removal of excess skin and fat and tightening of abdominal muscles in a full abdominoplasty
- Removal of excess skin and fat in the lower abdomen and tightening of abdominal muscles in mini-abdominoplasty
- Tightening of abdominal muscles only in endoscopic abdominoplasty
Step#4 – Finally, incisions are closed with stitches.
Following post-procedure care can help you in achieving quick recovery after the surgery
- Avoid smoking for at least a couple of weeks
- For the best recovery, you will need a proper one month of work.
- Avoid bending abruptly and don’t lift weights for at least six weeks.
- Follow your surgeon’s instructions about sitting and lying down to avoid pain.
- Do not rub incisions and keep them clean and dry.
- Apply cool compresses to reduce swelling and discomfort.
Tummy Tuck Recovery
The recovery period after the surgery differs for every patient but most of the elements are the same for every patient. Your recovery period may be like this:
- Your tummy will feel sore and tender immediately after surgery.
- You will have to take bed rest for a couple of days after surgery.
- The drainage tubes placed under the skin for the removal of blood and excess fluid will be removed in 2 to 5 days.
You will see improvement immediately after surgery but final results may take several months to become apparent. The outcomes of tummy tuck in Dubai will be permanent, but you will be required to follow a proper diet and exercise regimen to maintain the results. No guarantee is given as the results may vary from person to person.
How much does a tummy tuck cost in Dubai?
In Dubai, the tummy tuck cost starts from 30,000 AED. The exact price varies from person to person depending on the following factors.
- Surgeon’s fee
- Post-surgical garments
- Facility charges
what are the complications after tummy tuck surgery?
The common complications that you may experience after a tummy tuck surgery are the following
- Adverse reaction to anesthesia.
- Numbness and irritation in the treated area.
- Bleeding and infection under the skin flap.
- The surgery may leave scars.
- Blood clot
Who should not consider a tummy tuck surgery?
- If you want to lose weight, the tummy tuck is not for you. A tummy tuck can be performed only when you lose a lot of weight and then there remain extra fats and saggy skin that can’t be tightened by exercise or any remedy.
- Women who are considering pregnancy soon should also not consider a tummy tuck.
Tummy Tuck FAQs
Is abdominoplasty worth it?
According to RealSelf, 96% of patients report that abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) is worth the cost scarring, and downtime.
What happens if I get pregnant after tummy tuck?
The doctor advises avoiding getting pregnant after abdominoplasty for almost a year. The reason is your abdominal muscles lose again because of pregnancy. However, both the mother and child remain safe.
What is the tummy tuck surgery recovery period and downtime?
It takes six weeks for a patient to recover after undergoing tummy tuck surgery.
What can I expect after tummy tuck surgery?
The belly skin will be mostly numb for several weeks. Also, after surgery, there will be swelling in your belly.
What is the best age for a tummy tuck?
As long as you are determined to maintain a good diet and exercise and have no plan to get pregnant again, any age between 30s to 70s is the right age.
Get Free Consultations
At Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic, you can get tummy tuck treatment at an affordable price. Book yourself a free consultation with one of our expert plastic surgeons to discuss the details of the procedure. Fill out the form given below and one of our staff members will get back to you to book your appointment.
Fill in the form to get Consultation100% Financing with 0% Interest