Dental amalgam refers to the mixture of metal alloy and liquid mercury. It has been used in traditional dentistry to fill the cavities for almost 100 years. It is also known as a silver filling or mercury filling. Dental amalgam contains approximately 50% mercury which is a poisonous as well as non-radioactive metal. So, after extensive research, it was concluded that mercury used in dental fillings is harmful to humans.
This is the reason that biological dentistry strictly forbids the use of dental amalgams. Therefore, dental amalgam removal in Dubai and Abu Dhabi has been introduced that safely removes amalgam from your teeth.
Side-Effects of Dental Amalgams
As mercury is the primary component in amalgams, it is harmful to the human nervous, respiratory, digestive, and immune systems. It can damage your kidneys and lungs. The major side-effects of mercury include;
- Impaired vision
- Emotional instability
- Problems during fetus development
- Chronic fatigue
- Auto-immune disorders
- Damage to the nervous system
Therefore, if you have undergone mercury dental fillings, you should opt for amalgam removal in Dubai as soon as possible.
Why is Amalgam Removal Necessary?
Amalgam fillings raise the mercury levels and toxic load in your bodies. Research has shown that people who have amalgam fillings tend to release approximately 4-5μg of mercury per day. As a result, the amount of mercury in our environment increases. In addition to this, the damage it causes to your body also increases the importance of amalgam removal. You can significantly reduce this mercury level by removing amalgams.
Safest Technique for Amalgam Removal
Amalgam removal Dubai is a very sensitive procedure because of the high toxicity of mercury. Several protection layers are required to remove the amalgam fillings safely. The safest technique used to remove amalgams all over the world is known as the SMART protocol. It has been designed by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology and is quite effective.
What is SMART Protocol?
The Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique (SMART) is a detailed procedure that requires special protection measures. It only takes 60-90 minutes to perform the procedure which involves the following steps;
- First of all, a dental dam is placed in the patient’s mouth to prevent the accidental ingestion of mercury vapors. The dental dam is a special Nitrile dam and mercury vapors cannot penetrate it.
- Then a high-volume air filtration device is placed closer to your oral cavity. This device consists of a nozzle and special filters that can capture mercury. The nozzle functions as a vacuum cleaner and traps the mercury vapors that are being released from the amalgam fillings.
- To prevent the patient from inhaling mercury vapors, a naval mask is given to him/her. With the help of this mask, patients can breathe oxygen throughout the procedure.
- The dentist then removes the amalgam as a single piece by using thin drills. This drill separates the filling from the tooth without actually drilling the filling. It reduces the heat, contact, and mercury vapors.
- The separated amalgam is then disposed into mercury-contaminated containers.
- After that, the mouth is rinsed with a slurry of activated and absorbent charcoal. Charcoal can absorb and collect the remaining particles (if any).
- At the end of the procedure, all the equipment, flooring, surfaces used, and the clothing is cleaned with chemicals.
What to expect after the removal?
After removing the amalgam completely, your teeth are treated with biocompatible dental fillings, ceramic inlays, or crowns.
You need to follow these instructions after amalgam removal treatment;
- Consume a lot of fluids throughout the day.
- Try to avoid dairy products, processed food, caffeine and refined sugars.
- Eat plenty of vegetables and consume healthy fats.
- Get sufficient sleep
- Get vitamin D from the sun.
- Detoxify your body by using chlorella which is a natural supplement found in plants.
Is amalgam removal painful?
Amalgam removal treatment in Dubai is similar to a regular filling procedure or getting a cavity treated. Also, dentists use local anesthesia to freeze the tooth. Therefore, you do not feel any pain during amalgam removal.
Cost of Amalgam Removal in Dubai
The cost of dental amalgam removal is different for every patient. It is difficult to give an exact estimate because it depends on various factors. These factors include the condition of your teeth, expertize of the dentist, and location or reputation of the clinic. Therefore, it is suitable to consult with an expert to know the exact price of the procedure.
Schedule A Consultation
The dentists at Dubai Cosmetic Surgery® prioritize the oral as well as the general health of the patients. They work with the aim of creating a balance between your overall health and oral health. If you want to get safe amalgam removal in Dubai & Abu Dhabi, visit our clinic and consult with our dental surgeons. We offer an initial consultation to all our patients who are willing to get the treatment. You can book an appointment by filling the consultation form given below.
Fill in the form to get Consultation
Fill in the form to get Consultation100% Financing with 0% Interest