Brain, nerves, blood vessels, hormones, and emotions play a crucial role in penis erection during sex. A problem in any of these components can affect your ability to maintain an erection during sexual intercourse, and this inability is termed erectile dysfunction. But what causes erectile dysfunction?
There are several reasons for erectile dysfunction that vary in different age groups. Let’s have an in-depth analysis of the erectile dysfunction causes.
Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
We can divide the causes of erectile dysfunction into five main categories, which include the following:
- Psychological issues
- Underlying medical conditions
- Lifestyle factors
- Hormonal disorders
Mental health problems are one of the most common erectile dysfunction causes. Some major psychological issues that can lead to difficulties in penile erection include:
- Anxiety – If you are worried about finances, family problems, or your job, this anxiety can make you lose erections early.
- Stress – is a silent killer, and it affects not only your heart and digestive system but also your penis.
- Depression – Depression can also be a root cause of erectile dysfunction. Also, some medications used for depression treatment can result in erectile dysfunction.
Underlying Medical Conditions
Various health conditions can also be a reason for erectile dysfunction in men. Some significant medical conditions that contribute to dysfunction in penile erection include:
- Heart diseases
- High cholesterol or lipid level
- Prostate enlargement
- Parkinson’s disease
- Kidney and Liver diseases
- Multiple sclerosis
Some medications have erectile dysfunction as a side-effect. These medications include:
- Antihypertensive medicines for blood pressure
- Antiandrogens for prostate cancer
- Medicines for ulcer
- Appetite suppressants
If you are utilizing any of these medicines, chances are you will have erectile dysfunction. Please consult with a doctor if you have developed erectile dysfunction after using these medicines. Stop using these medicines upon the recommendation of the doctor.
As mentioned above, lifestyle factors are also one of the erectile dysfunction reasons. Your lifestyle habits affect your erection in the following ways:
- Consuming Fatty Food – If you eat a lot of fattening food and stay physically inactive, you are likely to gain weight. Obesity tends to reduce the amount of testosterone which is a sex-boosting hormone in men. As a result, your sexual performance and erection get affected.
- Drinking Alcohol – You should not overindulge in the drinking habit because it can cause erectile dysfunction. The doctors usually recommend no more than two drinks a day.
- Smoking – Smoking is harmful to health, and it not only damages your lungs but blood vessels too. The damage to the blood vessels reduces the blood supply to the penis. Consequently, you start developing erectile dysfunction.
- Drug Abuse – Illegal drugs like marijuana and cocaine lead to erectile dysfunction because they damage blood vessels, constraining the blood flow to the penis.
Reduced testosterone is a hormonal disorder that causes erectile dysfunction in 40s. As you age, the level of testosterone declines, due to which you face trouble maintaining an erection.
Erectile Dysfunction Treatment
If you face erectile dysfunction problems due to the aforementioned reasons, it is advised to get clinical erectile dysfunction treatment. The most effective treatment used for erectile dysfunction is Low-intensity shockwave therapy. This non-invasive technique involves delivering shock waves to the penis, which improves the blood flow in the penis. Moreover, shockwave therapy also promotes the formation of new blood vessels. As a result, your penile erection improves.
Erectile dysfunction has a variety of causes that must be avoided if you want a satisfying sexual relationship with your partner. However, if things have surpassed the preventive stage and require a cure, a clinical erectile dysfunction treatment is the right option. An expert andrologist can guide you well about the treatment options. For this purpose, you can book an appointment at Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic to consult with a certified andrologist. Please fill in the form provided to schedule a consultation, and our staff members will confirm your appointment.