Endoscopic incision of urethral stricture is the least invasive surgical procedure aimed at widening the narrowed section of the urethra. This simple yet highly effective procedure is an alternative to open urethroplasty, an invasive surgical option to treat urethral stenosis or stricture. The endoscopic incision is one of the latest advances in urethral stricture treatment in Dubai.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
What is Urethral Stricture?
A urethra is a tube whose fundamental function is to carry urine from the bladder to the outside of the body. This tube is generally wide enough to allow a convenient flow of urine. Nonetheless, the urethra can sometimes narrow, leading to a condition called urethral stricture. This condition mainly affects men.
Constriction of the urethra leads to urethral stricture. This constriction usually happens due to tissue inflammation or the development of scar tissue. Young boys who have undergone hypospadias surgery and men with penile implants are more likely to develop urethral stricture.
Another reason for urethral stricture is a straddle injury, which is a form of trauma. This injury occurs as a result of a sudden impact on the area around the scrotum.
Some possible reasons for urethral stricture include the following:
- Catheter insertion
- Pelvic fractures
- Prostate surgery
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia
In rare cases, the urethral stricture can occur as a result of:
- A tumor close to the urethra
- Recurring urinary tract infections
- Sexually transmitted infections, such as chlamydia or gonorrhea
Some people are more likely to develop urethral stricture, mainly because of the following risk factors.
- Catheter placement
- An enlarged prostate
- Sexually transmitted infections
Urethral stricture usually indicates its existence through several symptoms, ranging from mild to severe. Some most common signs of this condition include the following:
- A noticeable decrease in the urine volume
- A frequent urge to urinate
- A sensation of an unemptied bladder after urination
- Painful urination with a burning sensation
- Urinary incontinence
- Pain or discomfort in the lower abdomen or the pelvic area
- Swelling and pain in the penis
- Inclusion of blood in the urine or semen
- A discharge from the urethra
- Darkened-colored urine
- Inability to pass out urine
Diagnosing Urethral Stricture
Doctors use several measures to diagnose urethral stricture in Dubai. Here is an overview of those measures.
Reviewing Symptoms and Medical History
Taking note of the above symptoms is usually the first step towards diagnosing urethral stricture. Your doctor will also ask about past medical procedures or illnesses to identify any risk factors in a usual case.
A urinary stricture is usually more discoverable during a physical exam. A typical physical exam involves observing redness or urethral discharge. The doctor may also check if one or more areas of the penis are swollen or stiff.
The following diagnostic tests may help a doctor in performing urethral stricture treatment in Dubai.
- Analysis of the chemical and physical properties of urine to determine the presence of blood or bacteria in it
- Measuring the urethral opening’s size
- Testing for gonorrhea or chlamydia
- Cystoscopy: A procedure involving inserting a small tube with a camera to get an inside view of the bladder and urethra
- Measurement of the urine flow rate
Treatment With Endoscopic Incision
Also known as urethrotomy, the endoscopic incision of urethral stricture first involves inserting a thin instrument into the urethra. Then, this instrument makes an incision in the area that is blocking the urine flow, eliminating the stricture. The surgeon then leaves a catheter in the treated area for a few days to divert the flow of urine until the treated site heals.
Preparing for the procedure
Since endoscopic incision of urethral stricture must involve anesthesia, the doctor will advise you not to eat anything six hours before the procedure. You should also discuss your current medication and its impact on the treatment procedure with your doctor.
During the surgery
The surgeon will administer general or spinal anesthesia before performing the procedure. Here is what a typical procedure of endoscopic incision of urethral stricture entails:
- The surgeon will give you pre-operative antibiotics to minimize the risk of infections.
- Then, you will be asked to lie on a cystoscopy table in the surgery room.
- The surgeon will start the procedure once you are asleep under the influence of anesthesia.
- The surgeon will use a particular instrument with an endoscopic camera and a small blade on the tip during the procedure. They will cut the obstructive tissues forming the stricture.
- After the urethra is opened, the surgeon will drain urine from the bladder and fill it with irrigation fluid.
- They will then put a catheter in the bladder to allow for easy drainage of the irrigation fluid.
- In the end, the surgical staff will move you to the recovery room.
Endoscopic incision of urethral stricture is a minimally invasive procedure, meaning that you may not even have to stay in the hospital overnight. However, your surgeon may ask you to stay in as an inpatient for a day, depending on your circumstances.
The catheter in the urethra will remain in place for a few days after surgery. This catheter will keep the walls of the urethra apart while the surgery site heals.
During the recovery, you will have to use prescribed antibiotics to avoid any infections. You will also have to practice good hygiene to lower the risk of any post-surgery complications. Moreover, the surgeon will advise you to avoid sexual intercourse for a couple of weeks.
Schedule an Appointment
The endoscopic incision is a new treatment for urethral stricture in Dubai. This procedure is safe and effective, usually followed by a quicker recovery. However, the choice of the practitioner plays a vital role in procedural success.
At Dubai Cosmetic Surgery® Clinic, we offer endoscopic incision of urethral stricture from the hands of the most skilled urologist. So, book a consultation now to discuss this treatment option.
Fill in the form to get Consultation
Fill in the form to get Consultation100% Financing with 0% Interest