Men have a small gland in their bodies known as the prostate that nourishes and transports sperms. If a patient develops cancer in the prostate, the doctors use a prostate biopsy to diagnose the disease. A prostate biopsy helps the doctor examine the abnormal prostate tissues.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is a Biopsy for Prostate Cancer?
- 2 Why is Prostate Biopsy Done?
- 3 How to prepare for Prostate biopsy?
- 4 How is a Prostate Biopsy done?
- 5 What to Expect after Biopsy?
- 6 Aftercare
- 7 Prostate Biopsy Results
- 8 Prostate Biopsy FAQs
- 9 Schedule A Consultation
What is a Biopsy for Prostate Cancer?
Prostate biopsy in Dubai is a diagnostic technique in which tissues from the prostate gland are collected and examined under a microscope. For this purpose, a biopsy needle is used that removes the suspicious tissues. Prostate biopsy is performed by a urologist and is usually recommended when screening tests like PSA and blood tests suggest prostate cancer.
Why is Prostate Biopsy Done?
The basic aim of prostate biopsy is to identify diseases like prostate cancer or chronic prostatitis. The doctors usually recommend it in the following situations;
- The prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test depicts higher levels than normal
- Your digital rectal exam reveals lumps or other abnormalities
- Your previous biopsy was normal, but your PSA test shows higher levels
- Abnormal prostate tissue cells were detected in an earlier biopsy, but they were not cancerous.
How to prepare for Prostate biopsy?
In order to prepare for this diagnostic prostate cancer treatment in Dubai, you need to follow some guidelines mentioned below;
- Provide a urine sample for the analysis of urinary tract infections. The prostate biopsy is postponed in case the patient has a urinary tract infection. You will be given some antibiotics to eliminate the infection.
- Discontinue the use of medicines that can elevate the risk of bleeding.
- Avoid herbal supplements before the biopsy
- It is suggested to do a cleansing enema before getting a biopsy treatment.
- Your doctor might prescribe some antibiotics before the biopsy to avoid infection.
How is a Prostate Biopsy done?
The prostate needle biopsy takes 10 to 20 minutes to complete and involves inserting a hollow needle into the prostate. There are two different ways to insert the needle for collecting a sample of prostate tissue cells. These methods include;
Transrectal Biopsy – This method inserts the needle through the rectum wall and is the most commonly adopted.
Transperineal Biopsy – In this technique, a small cut is made in the region between the anus and scrotum. After that, the biopsy needle is inserted through this incision into the scrotum. A CT scan or an MRI guides the whole biopsy procedure.
The needle is inserted and removed with seconds. As the needle is drawn out, it removes a chunk of prostate tissues. The process is repeated several times, and tissues are collected from different parts of the prostate. The collected tissues are then examined using a microscope. During the procedure, you will feel slight discomfort.
What to Expect after Biopsy?
After getting a biopsy, you will experience soreness in the treated area. Some patients (especially the ones who suffer from hemorrhoids) also notice bleeding from the rectum. In addition to this, you might observe blood in the urine and semen for a few days. But, you don’t need to worry as all these conditions subside after a few weeks.
Visit your doctor immediately if you feel fever, difficulty in urination, prolonged bleeding, and unbearable pain.
Your urologist will provide you some aftercare instructions that will help you in recovery. Some standard aftercare instructions for prostate biopsy in Dubai include;
- Take the prescribed antibiotics for the recommended period of time.
- Avoid heavy exercises for a few days.
- You can only perform light activities in the initial 24 to 48 hours.
Prostate Biopsy Results
The biopsy samples of a patient are sent to the lab, where they will be examined for the presence of cancerous cells. Generally, it takes 1 to 3 days to get the results. However, sometimes it can take longer. The results of the prostate biopsy are reported in the following manner;
- Positive – If cancer cells are seen in the samples
- Negative – No cancer cells were found in the sample.
- Suspicious – Some abnormal cells are present, but they might not be cancerous.
Prostate Biopsy FAQs
What are the prostate cancer causes, signs, and symptoms?
Some of the common prostate cancer signs or symptoms are;
Weak urine flow
Blood in urine and semen
Pain during urination
Although the cause of prostate cancer is still unknown, doctors believe that it occurs when prostate cells develop changes in their DNA.
Can I drive home after a prostate biopsy?
Yes, you can drive home after the biopsy procedure. It would be best to increase your fluid consumption for the next 1- 2 days to avoid the formation of blood clots.
What if a prostate biopsy is positive?
If your biopsy report is positive, it means you have prostate cancer. A grade will be assigned to your cancer based on the abnormality of cancerous cells. High-grade cancers spread rapidly and are very abnormal.
Schedule A Consultation
You can visit Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic to get a prostate biopsy for cancer diagnosis. Our certified andrologists are always there to guide you throughout the treatment. You can consult with them by just filling the form, and we will take care of the rest. Book your appointment now.
Fill in the form to get Consultation100% Financing with 0% Interest