Rosacea Treatment in Dubai
Rosacea is a type of skin disease that appears to have red discoloration on the skin that can be misinterpreted as a blush. Rosacea is a chronic, inflammatory skin condition which principally affects the face region of any person. Rosacea causes facial redness and produces small, red, pus-filled pustules or bumps which can worsen when not treated immediately.
Rosacea may cause panic when the redness on the skin starts to develop into serious acne breakouts or enlarged pores which can be prone to white heads and black heads. There is no cure for rosacea but treatments can be done to ease discomfort and prevent it from getting worse.
Signs & Symptoms
There are various kinds of rosacea and the signs and symptoms and their severity also vary according to the type. Some common symptoms are:
- Facial redness and flushing
- Skin may be very sensitive
- Dry, rough and scaly skin
- Stinging and burning on skin
- Swollen red bumps on skin
- Enlarged pores
- Eye problems
- Enlarged nose
The exact cause of rosacea is unknown but it could be due to hereditary and environmental factors. There are many factors that act as triggers of rosacea. These factors include:
- Spicy and hot foods
- Temperature extremes
- Sun exposure
- Strenuous exercise
- Corticosteroids and medications that dilate blood vessels
There is no cure for rosacea but some options that help control the symptoms of the condition are available. These options include:
- Topical medications: Topical medications are normally considered the first option as the treatment of rosacea but their results are not guaranteed. Furthermore, their effects last for few weeks only. Common topical ingredients that are used to treat rosacea include metronidazole and azelaic acid. Both the medications are used to control the redness and bumps in rosacea.
- Oral medications: Certain oral medications are also helpful for the treatment of moderate rosacea. Oral medications may cause some temporary side effects like diarrhea, bloating, indigestion, abdominal pain and loss of appetite.
- IPL treatment: This treatment option is effective for improving flushing caused by rosacea. It is sometimes also helpful for successfully improving the redness and visible blood vessels. Its results are temporary.
- Laser treatment: Laser treatment is the most effective treatment for rosacea among all the options. Its results are highly effective and beneficial and longer lasting as well. It uses laser energy to control the symptoms of rosacea.
Laser therapy is a short procedure that requires very less time to complete, maximum 30 minutes. The steps of the procedure are given below:
- The procedure is virtually pain free and discomfort caused by it is bearable but numbing cream or topical anesthetic may be applied in some cases.
- Then laser device precisely delivering the laser energy to the treatment area is moved on the skin.
- The heat of laser damages the dilated blood vessels and shrinks them making them invisible without causing any damage to the surrounding area.
- Afterwards, cold packs and protective ointment are used to minimize the pain and discomfort caused by the treatment.
Laser treatment for rosacea does not require longer time for recovery. The most common after affects of the treatment are discolorations and bruising that are temporary and subside completely in a couple of days. The treated area may become sensitive to feel and touch and feel like sunburn. Most of the redness, swelling and sensitivity will resolve in 2 to 3 days. Applying makeup will be helpful to hide skin discoloration. Aftercare instructions given by practitioner are very important to follow. They may include:
- Apply ice packs immediately after the treatment to reduce discomfort.
- Avoid using irritants such as benzoyl peroxide and retin A.
There are many benefits of laser therapy for rosacea treatment. Some of them include:
- It is the only safe, quick, effective and easy treatment for rosacea.
- It is non-invasive procedure.
- No complications and risks are associated with it and side effects are also low.