Transurethral resection of the bladder (TURB) is a critical diagnostic technique used to manage bladder tumors. Bladder tumor is a common cancer type that develops in the bladder cells. TURB is performed to determine the stage and grade of cancer, establish a diagnosis and remove papillary non-muscle-invasive tumors.
What is Transurethral Resection of Bladder Tumor?
Transurethral resection of bladder tumor (TURB) is a men’s health procedure used to diagnose and treat bladder tumors. It allows the surgeon to perform the biopsy of the tumor and remove it from the bladder without damaging the bladder. TURB is considered essential to identify the presence of cancer and to determine its stage and grade.
What are the Types of Bladder Tumors?
There are different types of bladder tumors which include the following;
- Urothelial Carcinoma – Also known as transitional cell carcinoma, this type of bladder tumor develops in the cells that line the bladder’s inner area. It is one of the most common types of bladder cancer.
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma – This type of tumor is linked to chronic bladder irritation. Squamous cell carcinoma is common in regions where a specific type of parasitic infection causes bladder infections.
- Adenocarcinoma – It develops in the cells that form mucus-secreting glands in the bladder. Adenocarcinoma is a very rare type of bladder tumor.
What are Bladder Tumor Symptoms?
The major symptoms for bladder tumors include;
- Blood in urine
- Pain in the back
- Frequent and painful urination
Please consult with your surgeon if you experience any of these symptoms. They will perform transurethral resection of bladder tumor (TURB) to diagnose and treat bladder tumors.
How is TURB Performed?
Transurethral resection of bladder tumor in Dubai is performed under anesthesia. Both types of anesthesia, i.e., local or general, can be used for TURB. Mentioned below are the detailed procedural steps;
- In the first step, your surgeon will administer anesthesia to numb the lower half of your body.
- After that, the surgeon will insert a device known as a resectoscope into the bladder through the urethra.
- Resectoscope has a surgical loop that either resects a sample of the tumor tissues for analysis or removes the entire tumor.
The TURB technique is also used to treat initial-stage bladder cancer and is followed by intravesical therapy.
What to expect after TURB surgery?
After the TURB surgery in Dubai, you can go home the same day or stay at the hospital for a night. Moreover, you will be given a small drainage tube called a catheter to wear. Catheter helps you drain urine during the initial few days after transurethral resection of bladder tumor. The patients who undergo TURB also experience frequent urination, but all these conditions disappear after two weeks. In case you notice bleeding or pain, visit your surgeon immediately.
How long does the bladder take to heal after TURB?
It usually takes six weeks to recover completely after transurethral resection of the bladder tumor.
Is TURB dangerous?
No. The chance of infection or injury to the bladder is as low as 10%. Some common risks of TURB are bleeding, pain, and burning sensation during urination, and all these risks are temporary and correctable.
Get a Consultation
If you have any concerns regarding transurethral resection of the bladder tumor, visit Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic today. You can consult with our expert andrologists to know more about this bladder cancer diagnostic technique. You should share your medical history with the surgeon so that they can diagnose the tumor effectively. To get an appointment with our surgeons, you need to fill in the consultation form given below. After receiving your message, one of our staff members will contact you to confirm your consultation.
Fill in the form to get a consultation
Fill in the form to get a consultation100% Financing with 0% Interest