Facial Scar Removal
There would be hardly anyone who does not have a scar on some part of his/her skin. As long as these scars are hidden well beneath your clothing there is nothing to worry about. However, if they are quite conspicuous and present somewhere on your face, hands, forearms and feet, they may prove to be can be embarrassing and annoying. If you think you have some unwanted and stubborn scars on your face then facial scar removal is a procedure which can help you get rid of them. It involves removing the entire scar through surgery and rejoining the skin.
Are you a Candidate?
Facial scar removal surgery is helpful for any person suffering from visible facial scarring independent of age and skin type. You may be an excellent candidate for scar removal surgery if:
- You have visible scarring on your face caused by accident, burn or any other trauma.
- You have aesthetic and functional concerns regarding facial scarring.
- You have realistic expectations from the surgery. Keep in mind that there is no way to erase or remove scars altogether, but they can be made less prominent with surgery.
- You are in good health.
Scar Revision Goals
The goals of facial scar removal surgery are:
- Disguising, minimizing or relocating the prominence of scars.
- Improving the aesthetic appearance of your face by making the scars less visible.
- Correcting functionality of eyes, nose, mouth or facial expressions affected by scarring.
There are various kinds of scars and the choice of revision is best reached in consultation but various options are available for making scars less visible. Multiple treatments can be combined to get satisfactory results. The options other than surgery include:
- Steroids – Keloid or hypertrophic scars are usually treated with steroid injections at first. However, it this option does not work, they are removed surgically.
- Dermabrasion – This option is suitable for rough and elevated scars as it involves abrasion.
- Laser treatment – It is suitable for the treatment of less visible scars. This procedure also stimulates the production of collagen and improves the formation of new skin cells.
Facial scar revision surgery is the only most suitable option for removal of more severe and visible scars. This procedure can be performed using various techniques including:
- Excision: This technique involves removing the scar and rejoining the skin with stitches resulting in less visible scar.
- Z-plasty: A method known as Z-plasty involves transforming a scar from one area to another which can be into natural fold or crease of the skin thus minimizing visibility.
- Skin flap: In case of contracture scars, scar tissue is removed completely and skin flaps from healthy unscarred part are moved to the scarred area to form a new incision line.
- Skin graft: This technique is used when flap is not possible. It involves taking a section of skin tissue and attaching it to the treatment area. This technique requires time for new soft tissues and blood vessels to form.
During the pre-op visit, our plastic surgeon will examine you scar in order to decide which technique is best suitable for you as well as inform you about what can be expected from the procedure and provide you with some pre-op instructions. Some common instructions are:
- Discontinue using herbal supplements.
- Make adjustment in current medications and follow prescription.
Scar Revision Procedure
The duration and extent of surgery depends on the severity of scarring and technique selected. Following are the steps of procedure:
- Anesthesia is administered. It can be either local anesthesia or general anesthesia depending on the severity of scar.
- Then specific technique amongst excision, Z-plasty, skin flap and skin graft is used to minimize the appearance of scar.
- Finally incisions are stitched closed.
Benefits of Surgery
Facial scar revision surgery is an effective option for both aesthetic and functional concerns regarding facial scaring. It has a number of benefits and here are some common ones.
- This procedure makes it possible to correct facial flaws and improves its aesthetic appearance.
- It restores the functionality and mobility of affected features.
- It boosts your confidence and self-esteem.
- It can help change how you feel about yourself and your appearance.
Scar Revision Recovery
Though recovery period varies depending on the technique and severity of scarring for every patient, there are many things that are common regarding recovery.
- Just after the surgery, wound will be covered by dressing or ointment to keep the wound moist.
- You can expect feeling some discomfort after surgery.
- Some swelling and bruising may persist for comparatively longer period of time.
- Your sutures will be removed within 5 to 7 days after surgery.
- You will become able to return to your work in about a week but complete healing will require several months.
Our plastic surgeon will provide you individualized list of post-surgical instructions but here are some common tips that you will need to follow after surgery.
- Use cold compresses to minimize swelling and bruising.
- Keep your head elevated while lying down.
- Decrease your physical activities and avoid any strenuous tasks after surgery.
- Avoid any stress on the incision sites.
- Follow the prescriptions and don’t take any medication without consulting doctor.
- Avoid sun exposure for at least six months after surgery.
- See the doctor on scheduled post-surgical appointments.
Scar Revision Results
Facial scar revision surgery does not give dramatic results but it can greatly improve the aesthetic appearance of your face by making scars less visible as well as the functionality. The results of the procedure are permanent.
If you are looking for a facial scar removal in Dubai, Dubai Cometic Surgery is your way to go. We offer facial scar removal in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Sharjah.
Fill in the form to get Free Consultation