Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
Tummy Tuck Candidate?
- Patients with loose or sagging abdominal wall skin frequently associated with abnormal relaxation of the anterior abdominal wall muscles (frequently secondary to multiple pregnancies or prior surgery).
- Patients who are unable to tighten abdominal wall skin with exercise.
A smoother, flatter abdomen.
Tummy Tuck Procedure
- The procedure is usually performed under general anesthesia either within the hospital or in an outpatient setting. (Mini and modified abdominoplasties are similarly performed.)
- Mini-Abdominoplasty tightens the lower abdominal wall skin only (shortest scar).
- Modified Abdominoplasty addresses conditions where just the muscle wall or just the abdominal skin requires repair.
- Standard Abdominoplasty tightens all of the abdominal wall skin and muscles (standard scar).
- Extended Abdominoplasty tightens the abdomen and the flanks or sides (longest scar extending around the flanks onto lower back).
How Long does Surgery Take?
Abdominoplasty can take from 2 to 4 hours depending upon the components involved, .e.g. if it is just removal of the loose extra skin then the time required will be less, but if muscle tightening and liposuction is also required then it takes longer.
What is the Recovery Time?
Recovery time varies according to the extent of surgery. In general it can take about a week to 10 days to resume sedentary or desk work. Exercise resumption may take 3-4 weeks.
What Are The Complications?
Abdominoplasty is one of the major surgeries in cosmetic surgery. In properly selected patients and with proper planning the risk of complication is minimized. Potential complications like in any surgery are infection, bleeding, scarring, numbness and hematoma. Severe complication like skin loss and embolism are rare.
Does It Effects Future Pregnancy?
- It is recommended that full Abdominoplasty be performed when you have completed your family. Although pregnancies have been reported after Abdominoplasty, the amount of skin stretching can cause severe stretch marks and thinning of skin.
- In selected cases mini- Abdominoplasty can be performed where the skin removal is limited. Mini -Abdominoplasty is partial removal of the skin between the umbilicus and the pubic region.
Will The Scar Be Visible?
Scars are usually placed within the bikini area, so they are not visible even in swimming suit. The scar heals differently in different individuals. In some patients the scar may be thin and narrow and barely visible and in some they could wide and raised. Healing of the scar is not controlled by the surgeon.
Is It Painful?
Pain is well controlled by strong pain medication for the first few days, and then eases off. You are encouraged to walk the very first day after surgery, though some patients may have to walk in a bending forward position for a couple of days.
Tummy Tuck Cost
The cost includes surgeon fee, hospital charges, anesthesia fee. And it also includes free consultation, free follow up for life time and additional discount’s for future surgeries.