Eyelid surgery is a surgical procedure that is used to enhance the appearance of upper and lower eyelids by removing sagging skin, lines and excess fat.
- Patients with excessive, sagging or wrinkled upper or lower eyelid skin.
- Patients with excess upper eyelid skin that interferes with vision.
- Patients with excessive or unsightly lower eyelid skin.
- Patients who have lost their natural upper eyelid crease.
- Patients with puffy pouches of fat in the upper or lower lids that create a tired or aged appearance.
- A more youthful and rested appearance of the eyes.
- Widening of visual fields, if excessive upper lid skin has partially blocked vision.
- The removal of wrinkle lines, and softening of deep wrinkle lines.
Eyelid surgery is a long lasting procedure and can last up to 10 years.
There is no exact age to undergo an eyelid surgery but majority of the patients are usually in their forties and fifties.
- The procedure is done on an outpatient basis under sedation and local or general anesthesia.
- If only excess fat is present in the lower lids, it may be removed through an incision inside the lower lids (trans-conjunctival approach). This technique does not involve an external incision or scar, unless some excess skin needs to be removed as well.
- When excess skin needs to be removed from lower eyelids, an incision is made just beneath the eyelashes.
- When excess skin needs to be removed from upper eyelids, the incisions are made where the natural crease should be in the upper lids. Excess fat and skin are removed.
Eyelid surgery may take about 1.5 to 2.5 hours for both upper and lower eyelids.
Asian eyelid surgery is a procedure used to create double eyelid fold. However, a normal eyelid surgery is used to remove excess fat, puffiness and lines.
This surgery can be performed under local anesthesia with sedation or general anesthesia. However, upper Blepharoplasty can be performed under local anesthesia alone.
For the first few days, there is swelling and bruising around the eyes, most of which is gone by the end of the first week. During this time with some make up and sun glasses you can go out in public.
Scarring is usually minimal and barely visible. The lower eyelid surgery can be performed from behind the eyelid without causing a scar on the outside.
Some major complications associated with eyelid surgery are infection, bleeding, scarring ectropion and intrpion (outward and inward pulling of the eyelids respectively) and in small number of cases impairment of vision.
Results of double eyelid surgery are permanent.
The cost of the treatment depends on various factors which include expertise of your surgeon, location of the clinic, guaranteed results, your expected results, and other related aspects. It is necessary to consult with an experienced surgeon to know the exact cost.