Facelift – Rhytidectomy
- Patients who have experienced a loss of skin elasticity and muscle tone of the face and neck.
- Patients who have the appearance of jowls and deep creases between the base of the nose and the corners of the mouth.
- Patients who have developed facial and neck wrinkles.
- Patients who believe that they lack youthful chin and neck contours.
- Patients who think they have a tired facial appearance.
A more rested and youthful contour to the face and neck.
- Facelift range in size from “mini” to “standard” or “SMAS” (where underlying muscles are tightened) depending on location and extent of skin and muscle laxity.
- The operation is done on an outpatient basis under local anaesthesia with sedation, or under general anaesthesia.
- Incisions are made within the hairline (or along the hair margin) above the ear, extending down around the lobe and ending in or below the hairline behind the ear. The subcutaneous layers and neck muscles are tightened, the facial skin is re-draped and lifted, and the excess skin is removed.
The procedure can take anywhere from two to four hours, again depending upon the nature and extent of a face lift. Sometimes other procedures are added, and in that case, the time may be even longer. Other procedures, usually combined with the facelift are Blepharoplasty, forehead lift or liposuction, under the chin.
There is minimal, recuperation time, however there is swelling and bruising of the face and neck areas, which prevents people from resuming their day-to-day activities or go to work. Swelling and bruising, usually subsides in about a weeks time, and at that point with some makeup, one can resume daily activities or work.
Usually about a week to 10 days is all that is required. If the work does not require interaction with other people than it can be resumed in two to three days, for example, working on the computer at home.
The results are expected to last about seven to 10 years. A healthy lifestyle, protection from Sun, avoidance of smoking and proper skin care can help the results to last longer.
Facelift and neck left are generally not very painful. Minimum to mild pain is expected, which is easily controlled by pain medication.
Facelift and neck lift surgeries require experience, and expertise in the area of cosmetic plastic surgery. Proper selection of the patient, careful preoperative evaluation and instructions to the patient are important in order to avoid any possible complications. Fortunately, common complications are minor in nature and can be easily taken care of. Other than swelling and bruising. There is a possibility of a hematoma and seroma formation, nerve injury and skin loss. It is imperative that preoperative instructions, be followed carefully, medications, which may cause bleeding must be stopped, prior to the surgery, and the patient must quit smoking four to six weeks before the surgery.
The cost includes surgeon fee, hospital charges, anaesthesia fee and free consultation, free follow up for life time and an additional discount for future surgery.