Eyelid surgery is a surgical procedure that is used to enhance the appearance of upper and lower eyelids by removing sagginess, lines and excess fat.
- Patients with excessive, sagging or wrinkled upper or lower eyelid skin.
- Patients with excess upper eyelid skin that interferes with vision.
- Patients with excessive or unsightly lower eyelid skin.
- Patients who have lost their natural upper eyelid crease.
- Patients with puffy pouches of fat in the upper or lower lids that create a tired or aged appearance.
- A more youthful and rested appearance of the eyes.
- Widening of visual fields if excessive upper lid skin has partially blocked vision.
- The removal or erasing of wrinkle lines, and softening of deep wrinkle lines.
- The procedure is done on an outpatient basis under sedation and local or general anesthesia.
- If only excess fat is present in the lower lids, it may be removed through an incision inside the lower lids (trans-conjunctival approach). This technique does not involve an external incision or scar, unless some excess skin needs to be removed as well.
- When excess skin needs to be removed from lower eyelids, an incision is made just beneath the eyelashes.
- When excess skin needs to be removed from upper eyelids, the incisions are made where the natural crease should be in the upper lids. Excess fat and skin are removed.
Eyelid surgery may take about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hrs for both upper and lower eyelids.
Asian eyelid surgery is a procedure used to create double eyelid fold, however a normal eyelid surgery is used to remove excess fat, puffiness and lines.
This surgery can be performed under local with sedation or general anesthesia. Upper Blepharoplasty can be performed under local anesthesia alone.
For the first few days, there is swelling and bruising around the eyes, most of which is gone by the end of the first week. At this time with some make up and sun glasses you can go out in public.
Scarring is usually minimal and barely visible, at occasion the lower eyelid surgery can be performed form behind the eyelid without having a scar on the outside.
Proper selection of the patient, careful planning, finesse and meticulous execution, are paramount in eyelid surgery. All these steps are important in avoiding complications. Which are infection, bleeding, scarring ectropion and intrpion (outward and inward pulling of the eyelids respectively) and in small number of cases impairment of vision.
Results of double eyelid surgery are permanent.
The cost of the treatment depends on various factors that include expertise of your surgeon, the location, guaranteed results, your expected results, and other related aspects. It is necessary to find an experienced surgeon to avoid complications, such as bleeding, impairment of vision, and infection. You need to get our consultation to know the exact cost.
Blepharoplasty is preferred over a brow lift surgery for sagging eyelids.