Ear Surgery (Otoplasty)
- Patients who have ears that stick out too far from the side of the head.
- Patients who have ears with an unusual or undesirable shape.
Ears that have normal folds and shape with normal protrusion from the side of the head.
- The procedure is usually performed on an outpatient basis under sedation and local or general anesthesia. The procedure is generally recommended before the child starts going to school.
- Deformity is to be corrected to avoid psychological problems that child may develop by teasing from other children. The incision is usually made behind the ear, and is not visible. Thy extent of surgery depends upon the deformity. Some deformities are simple to correct while the others may require an extended procedure.
- After the surgery a bulky dressing is applied, and the patient is usually seen in a day or two after the surgery to check for any unusual complications.
The procedure may take from 1 to 1 1/2 hrs, again depending upon the nature and extent of the deformity.
Physically, there is practically no recovery time needed. However because of the bulky dressing patient may not be able to attend school or a grown up person may not be able to meet with other people. There is some swelling and bruising, which may last from a few days to a week.
As mentioned in the recovery time, time off from work, essentially means present ability to other people. If somebody is working from home on a computer then they can work the next day. However, if interaction with other people is required then about a week is adequate.
Once, ear pinning is performed, the effect is permanent, unless some injury happens.
The procedure is not painful, unless there are some complications. If unusual pain is noted the patient must inform the doctor.
In general it he is a relatively straightforward procedure. However possibility of infection, bleeding, scarring and hematoma exist. If the postoperative instructions are followed carefully the chance of complications is minimized.
The cost includes surgeon fee, hospital charges, anaesthesia fee. And it also includes free consultation, free follow up for life time and additional discount’s for future surgeries