Tired of going through painful waxing sessions, shaving, and the hair growing back within a couple of days? Do you want to get rid of unwanted hair permanently? If your answer is yes then let us introduce you to the world of laser hair removal where you will get to know what it actually is, how it actually works, its pros and cons and how you can benefit from it.
What is laser hair removal?
During a laser hair removal process, highly concentrated light is beamed past the upper layer of the skin and into the hair follicles. The melanin in the hair follicles then absorbs the light which in turn destroys the hair. This is done while not heating the skin. Laser hair removal is one of the trendiest cosmetic procedures that is done currently; thanks to its speed and efficacy.
Pros of laser hair removal
- Speed: It can treat a large area in very little time as each laser pulse only takes a second and treats many hairs at the same time.
- Precise: Lasers are selective. Hence, they can target the hair without damaging the surrounding skin.
- Permanent: After about 3-5 sessions most people get to experience permanent hair reduction on the desired areas.
- Ingrown hairs: It helps in reducing ingrown hairs which is a joy because they are really annoying. This leads to less irritation on the skin.
- It leaves you with smoother and softer skin.
- Works on all skin types depending on the type of laser being used.
Cons of laser hair removal
- Laser hair removal tends to be costly. The cost depends on the number of sessions, the size of the area to be treated, the person performing the procedure, and the country you are in.
- No sun for you. You will need to avoid the sun before and after the treatment. If you have a tan you will have to wait till it fades in order to have the treatment.
- No gym. Since the heat from the laser stays in the body for about 24 hours this means that you cannot go to the gym, saunas, or take a hot shower. If you do any of this, you will become prone to having spots on your skin.
Preparing for laser hair removal
Before going in for laser hair removal, trim or shave the area but avoid waxing, plucking, or electrolysis for about six weeks prior. This is because laser hair removal targets the hair roots and waxing, plucking or electrolysis removes the hair roots temporarily. If the treatment is being done on the face then remove all makeup and avoid the sun also. Keep off from scrubbing the area or using retinol and glycolic acid for a day or two before and after the treatment.
Once the procedure is done you might be given anti-inflammatory lotions, creams, and ice packs to ease any discomfort that you might have. Your skin will feel and look like it has sunburns for a day or two after the treatment. This is because the dead skin cells peel off so the new smooth skin can form. You can wear makeup after a day unless you have blisters which are rare.
Laser Hair removal can do wonders in getting rid of unwanted hair. However, above all make sure that the laser hair removal procedure is performed by a qualified and licensed dermatologist with a good track record. The results of the laser hair removal depend on the expertise of the doctor. Therefore, choose the doctor carefully. Visit Dubai Cosmetic Surgery®, if you are looking for laser specialists with a good reputation.