Acne is a skin disease also known as acne vulgaris. It is a long-term disease and occurs when hair follicles in the skin are clogged with oil and dead skin cells. They could be identified in the form of blackheads, pimples, whiteheads, scarring, and oily face. It greatly affects the appearance of skin and demeans one’s self-esteem which could lead to depression.
Acne mostly occurs in puberty because sebaceous glands are active at that time but it can also occur at a different age. The condition is not dangerous but it can lead to scarring which could be depressing for some people.
Causes of Acne
It is stimulated by the male hormone and is produced by the adrenal gland which produces oil. The treatment of this condition depends upon the severity of the condition as well as its persistence. Common factors that cause acne are anxiety, genetics, stress, hot and humid climate, squeezing of pimples, menstrual cycle, and regular use of oily makeup.
Cosmetic Treatments for Acne
There are some cosmetic treatments available for Acne treatment and these cosmetic treatments have many advantages over medical treatment. Their results are quicker and more effective. Some of these treatments are as follows.
Chemical peels control certain types of acne to improve the overall appearance of skin. Traditionally chemical peels are used to improve fine lines, minor scars, and sun damage. There are three different types of chemical peels and the strength of peel depends upon the strength of the chemical used in the peel. Stronger peels penetrate deeper as compared to weaker peels. The three basic types of peels are :
Super facial peel: This peel uses the weakest chemicals among all peels. This peel only penetrates the upper skin and exfoliate it and can only work best for mild acne. However, this type of peel is ineffective when it comes to severe acne.
Medium Peel: The chemicals used in this peel are more powerful as compared to superficial peel. They penetrate the upper as well as middle layers of skin to exfoliate it and it can be used to treat more severe forms of acne.
Deep Peel: This is the most effective type of chemical peel and the chemicals used in this peel are the strongest. In this peel, the skin is penetrated by chemicals on a deeper level. It penetrates the upper and medium layers. It also travels to the deep layers and exfoliates the skin on a deeper level which is the reason that it can be used for the severe form of acne.
Pros of Chemical Peel
- The chemical peel is very effective.
- It is efficient compared to medical treatments.
- The results of chemical peel are quick and clearly visible.
- There is minimal pain involved in the procedure.
Cons of Chemical Peel
- This treatment won’t work efficiently if the skin is prone to form exaggerated scar tissue such as keloids.
- It also won’t work effectively if you have undergone isotretinoin therapy within the previous six months.
- This procedure is not recommended for people who have sensitive skin.
Intense Pulse Light (IPL)
IPL is an effective way for Acne treatment. The procedure works the same way as normal IPL. In this treatment, the affected area is showered with intense light which is absorbed by the skin and creates a controlled wound. It not only destroys bacteria but acne as well and it initiates collagen production in the targeted area which heals the skin and removes acne.
Pros of IPL
- There is minimal pain involved in the procedure.
- The results of this technique are swift and clearly visible.
- Compared to medical treatments IPL is more efficient.
- It removes acne and clears the skin.
Cons of IPL
- More sessions might be required for good results.
- For the severe form of acne, medication might also be required.
- It is not recommended for dark skin because of the risk of burning.
The laser works in the same way as IPL but instead of using intense light, it uses intense laser light which penetrates deeper into the skin. It covers less area during treatments and takes more time per session to complete. In this procedure, the affected area is targeted with intense laser light. The laser is then absorbed by skin pigments and acne is destroyed. Bacteria present in the acne is also destroyed due to the heat produced by laser light. The end result is clear and acne-free skin.
Pros of Laser
- The procedure is minimally invasive.
- The results of this procedure are immediate.
- Usually, one session is enough to get maximum results.
- It clears the skin and removes acne.
- It is effective for all types of skins.
- It can even treat the severe effects of acne
Cons of Laser
- One session of the laser takes more time to be completed.
- Mild redness is also expected.
- Sensitivity to sunlight is increased but it is only temporary.
All of the procedures described above can help tremendously when it comes to acne treatment. These procedures will not only treat acne but will also give you clearer and fairer skin. Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic offers the best Acne treatment. We also offer free online consultation with highly skilled doctors. All you need to do is fill the form below and we will contact you in no time.