Since humans started consuming them more than 4000 years ago, peppers have just moved from greatness to greatness. When you eat your food made richer by peppers’ strong flavour, do you know that you are also enjoying some really great health benefits that come with peppers? You can call it a spice or a vegetable, and it doesn’t matter in which food group it belongs to, all that matters is what it does to your body’s overall health.
We have compiled a list of benefits that come with eating peppers, either sweet, spicy, black, white, green, and yellow or the famous red.
- Enhance weight loss: That kick that comes with spicy peppers, also known as capsaicin, has been proven to aid in weight loss efforts. Research show that this capsaicin, when ingested, boosts your metabolism, supresses appetite and keeps fat cells from full development by burning them. So if you do not mind a burning mouth and lips; keep on enjoying your spicy food and reap the benefits.
- Have antioxidant benefits: Peppers, especially the red ones, are an excellent source of carotenoids and phytochemicals, like beta-carotene. This helps fight free radicles inside your body in addition to filling you with their anti-inflammatory benefits and reducing your risk of breast cancer.
- Controls cholesterol: Capsaicin, which gives peppers their hotness, also helps in controlling the build-up of cholesterol. We all know that high levels of cholesterol within your blood can easily put you at a risk for a heart attack. So if you are very serious about keeping your cholesterol levels in control, you should keep on enjoying this flavourful vegetable.
- Filled with fibre: Studies show that one cup of green bell peppers not only does it contain about 30 calories, but it has about 2.5 grams of fibres. This can easily add up to your fibre intake per day. If taken enough on a daily basis, fibre has been shown to improve your digestive system and in the process protecting you from constipation. It also reduces your risk of diabetes and heart disease.
- Skin Health: Several studies have shown that if people who suffer from vitiligo consume peppers, they will be reducing the chances of the skin disease from spreading. For those who do not know vitiligo, it is the discoloration of some parts of your skin which end up looking lighter that your normal skin tone. The consumption of peppers can stimulate the production of pigment by the skin.
- Improvement of stomach ulcers: This might sound crazy because when you have duodenal or peptic ulcers, the last thing you might want to ingest is spicy food. Some peppers like cayenne are said to reduce bleeding as well as serve as local anaesthetic, which reduces pain inside your stomach. In addition, ingesting these peppers can also reduce your chances of developing stomach ulcers.
Please follow and like us: