Have you ever read the list of ingredients while buying a shampoo? Majority of the people don’t. You may not have an idea how harmful certain ingredients can be for your scalp and hair. You must analyze the ingredients of your shampoo as it may contain some dangerous ingredients that must be avoided. All of the beauty products are not approved by FDA and there is a chance that they may contain some harmful ingredients. Therefore, developing an understanding regarding this matter is really important.
Shampoo is an integral part of your hair care routine. You don’t spend time in examining the ingredients but it is necessary. Some specific ingredients can cause a lot of harm to your hair. Even some of the ingredients may become harmful for your overall health. So, an analysis is highly recommended by our hair experts. If you see that the bottle contains some harmful ingredients, you should immediately put that bottle back on the shelf and find another brand.
List Of Harmful Ingredients
Well, it is not possible to provide you the name of all the harmful ingredients in a shampoo. But, following is a list that highlights the important ingredients usually used in the shampoos. Have a look at this list to know about the ingredients that might be harmful to your hair and overall health.
- 3,4-Diaminobenzoic acid
- Solvent Red 1 (CI 12150)
- Acid Red 73 (CI 27290)
- 6-Methoxy-2,3-Pyridinediamine (HCl salt)
- 4-Methoxytoluene-2,5-Diamine (HCL salt)
- Acid Orange 24 (CI 20170)
- 5-Amino-4-Fluoro-2-Methylphenol Sulfate
- 2-Aminomethyl-p-aminophenol (HCl salt)
- N,N-Dimethyl-2,6-Pyridinediamine (HCL salt)
- 2,4-Diamino-5-methylphenetol (HCL salt)
- Triethanolamine (TEA)
- N-(2-Methoxyethyl)-p-phenylenediamine (HCL salt)
12 Toxic Ingredients To Avoid In Your Shampoo
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)
Risks: cancer, skin rashes, liver damage, depression
Risks: Clogs the lymphatic system, major organ system toxicity
- Potassium Sorbate
Risks: causes skin and organ system toxicity
Risks: irritant to skin, eyes & lungs, vomiting, contact dermatitis
- Retinyl Palmitate
Risks: carcinogen, causes reproductive and organ system toxicity
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine
Risks: eye and skin irritation, allergic contact dermatitis
Risks: Skin irritation, endocrine and organ disruption, eye and lung irritation
Risks: irritation of the skin, traps impurities in skin, irritation of scalp and eyes
Risks: lung irritation, endocrine and organ disruption, skin & eye irritation
- Behentrimonium Chloride
Risks: irritates skin, inflammatory agent, damages the eyes
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEG)
Risks: organ system toxicity, direct link to cancer
Risks: contains carcinogenic formaldehyde, major toxin to body.
Effective Tips For Hair Protection
- Be careful while selecting your shampoo and find one that doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals.
- Find a shampoo that contains a milder form of the cleanser, such as, sodium lauryl sulfosuccinate and sodium lauryl sulfoaccetate. They may be less foamic as compared to the other shampoos, but they are effective for safety and cleansing of your scalp.
- Apply conditioner on your hair after shampoo. But, your conditioner shouldn’t contain dimethicone.
- Avoid excessive heating and use of chemicals while styling your hair.
- Apply essential oils to your hair.
Hopefully, this article has provided you enough information regarding the health and care of your hair. You should be very selective in buying and using a shampoo. In case, you can’t identify whether a shampoo is good for your hair or not then you may contact the hair experts at Dubai Cosmetic Surgery anytime to get their honest suggestions. If you need any guidance related to your hair problems then simply fill the following form to book a consultation with us for FREE.