Thousands of people suffering from hair loss and baldness are now finding their refuge in hair transplant. It is a surgical procedure that restores your hair growth and gives you a head full of hair. You cannot only control hair loss through hair transplant but can also get rid of pattern baldness. Even though several non-surgical hair restoration techniques are available in the market, people prefer hair transplant surgery due to its promising and permanent results.
However, getting a hair transplant is not a piece of cake. There are certain risks and side-effects associated with it. You might not experience any side-effects after the surgery due to the expertise of your surgeon but there is a possibility of having some side-effects. Therefore, in today’s blog, we will describe some of the major side-effects of hair transplant and will guide you on how to avoid them.
Hair Transplant Side-Effects
Some of the hair transplant side-effects are temporary and subside within a few days. However, some of the risks persist for a longer time leading to severe complications. For this purpose, the surgeons must guide their patients about the side-effects beforehand and educate them on how to avoid these side-effects. Some of the common side-effects of hair transplant surgery include the following;
- Shock Loss
How to Avoid Side-Effects?
Here, we will tell you how to avoid these common risks associated with hair transplant in detail.
- Since hair transplant is a surgical procedure, it is natural for bleeding to occur. Most of the surgeons recommend applying continuous and steady pressure on the bleeding site with sterile gauze. It should be done for 15 minutes at least. The bleeding usually stops after 15 minutes but if it does not, you should consult with your surgeon.
- Usually, the swelling around the forehead subsides within 2-3 days but in some cases, it persists and reaches the eyes and nose which is alarming. To avoid or alleviate swelling, surgeons recommend applying cold compresses to the affected site. You should use compresses twice or thrice a day for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Also, you should avoid sleeping on the side or front. Hair transplant surgeons suggest sleeping with your head in an elevated position. Using inflatable pillows also help greatly in reducing swelling.
- Pain is also a common side-effect linked to hair transplant surgery because it is an invasive procedure. You will experience discomfort and pain at the donor site and around the eyes. To avoid pain, hair transplant surgeons prescribe certain painkillers to the patients which must be taken according to your surgeon’s instructions.
- To avoid the side-effects like itching, you need to apply oil, lotion or any topical cream prescribed by the surgeon. However, scratching the itchy area is strictly prohibited because it can result in the loss of implanted hair and leads to scabbing.
- Infection is one of the complicated side-effects of hair transplant which occurs when the donor site has swelled and became hypersensitive. You need to follow the post-surgery instructions given by your surgeon to avoid any negligence. If the infection still prevails and is spreading to other body parts as well then you need medical assistance.
- Temporary shock loss is common and not a reason to worry about. It refers to the loss of transplanted hair and growth of new hair. However, permanent shock loss is a serious condition and needs to be avoided. For this purpose, you need an experienced surgeon.
- Scarring as a result of hair transplant is inevitable but its prominence can be minimized by choosing the hair transplant technique wisely. Both FUT and FUE leave scars but FUT causes a long and linear scar that is easily visible if you have short hair. However, FUE leaves tiny spots that are almost invisible when the hairs grow.
Significance of Consultation
We always recommend people to consult with expert surgeons before undergoing any treatment. A detailed consultation leaves no ambiguities and you get a chance to discuss anything related to the transplant surgery. Your surgeon will guide you about all the side-effects that can occur after the hair transplant and will also teach you the ways to avoid those risks. If you are in search of a qualified hair transplant surgeon then visit Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic. We offer a free initial consultation to our patients and you can book your appointment by filling the form given below.