Also known as hair transplant strip method Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT) gives results which are similar to the pattern of natural hair growth. It is mostly recommended for people with large bald areas on their head.
The Best FUT Hair Transplant procedure involves harvesting an entire strip of hair from a donor area. The donor area is normally where the hair growth is still thick and hair fall is less. The strip of hair is then divided into grafts which consist of one or two follicles. The follicular units contain nerves, oil glands or sebaceous glands, fine hairs known as vellus hairs and tiny muscles.
Tiny incisions are made on the patient’s scalp and these are known as recipient areas. The follicular unit grafts which are usually in thousands are placed on the recipient areas in a single session. This results in a natural hair growth pattern with no tell-tale signs of surgery.
You will need to wear a bandana or a cap immediately after the surgery in order to protect your head for a few days. The transplanted hair usually falls off a few weeks after the procedure but new hair grows back in about three to six months.
Advantages of the FUT procedure
- Compared to other procedures it has better yield of hair
- Thousands of hair follicles can be transplanted in a single session
- It is more affordable as compared to other procedures such as FUE
- It provides an enhanced cosmetic effect which is natural looking when the hair grows
Disadvantages of the FUT procedure
- During the procedure there is usually discomfort, itching or numbness but these fade away
- Scarring is to be expected at the donor strip site
- Since the procedure is invasive there will be a longer recovery period
- There is a risk of infection and inflammation if proper care is not adhered to
- Any form of strenuous activity should be avoided at least four weeks after the surgery
Guidelines to follow before undergoing the FUT procedure
- Avoid taking any blood thinners or broad beta blockers and if you are taking them inform the doctor immediately
- Do not cut your hair at least two weeks to the procedure
- Avoid takin anti-inflammatory medications one week prior to the procedure
- Do not get your scalp sunburned prior to the procedure
- Do not drink alcohol or smoke two weeks prior to the procedure as this may interfere with the healing process
- Avoid taking vitamin B or E or any multivitamin a week to the procedure as this are known to increase bleeding
- The donor area should be massaged for ten minutes everyday prior to the procedure as this increases the flexibility of the skin
- Avoid applying hair styling products on the day of the procedure
- Your doctor will advise you on whether to wash your hair or not on the day of the procedure
Post treatment guidelines for FUT
- Sleeping in a semi-sitting procedure after the procedure helps in reducing swelling
- Do not touch, rub or scratch the transplant site
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol two after the procedure
- Follow the doctors instructions and take medication as prescribed
- You head should be covered to avoid direct contact with UV rays
- Strenuous activities should be avoided for at least a month after the procedure
Recovery after a FUT procedure takes about 10 to 14 days and the hair transplant results are permanent.