Tummy tuck treatment is a surgical procedure that involves the removal of excess fat and skin. It also tightens muscles in the abdominal region of the body. Your belly may be affected because of rapid weight loss, pregnancies or a natural aging process but a tummy tuck can solve all the problems. The procedure requires administration of general anesthesia and takes around three hours to complete.
It’s always a great idea to understand what you will be going through before and after the procedure is carried out. You should know that you will need time to recover completely after the tummy tuck treatment. Your surgeon will make incisions in a few sites that will be stitched closed after the skin or fat is removed.
Expectations from Tummy Tuck Procedure
Below we will have a closer look at what you can expect after a tummy tuck procedure.
The Recovery Process
The recovery process would be different for every patient. It can be uncomfortable and painful. Your tummy would be swollen and sore for a few days after the treatment. You may even experience bruising and tenderness in the treated area. Your surgeon is likely to place drainage tubes under the skin for removing excess blood or fluid, which may also take 4 to 5 days to be removed. Your surgeon will remove the sutures on the incisions after a week or two. The skin may become numb for some time after the treatment.
You will be given a list of post-operative instructions to recover from the tummy tuck properly. You will be guided by your surgeon to change dressings regularly with proper care. You will know what movements or activities can add to the discomfort that you should avoid. The list would include the things you should avoid during the healing process and things that will help you recover quickly.
The following are the common instructions given to patients, while additional instructions can be given by your surgeon depending on your condition.
- Your doctor would prescribe some antibiotics to avoid any sort of infection after the treatment. You must monitor your health as well; if you bleed or feel temperature, talk to your surgeon.
- You will be given pain medications to reduce post-operative discomfort.
- You will be asked to keep your head elevated with the help of an extra pillow for one or two weeks.
- You will be asked to discontinue smoking and alcohol consumption because it may interfere with the healing process.
- You will be given a support garment that you should wear around the abdomen to control the swelling and to heal quickly and comfortably.
- You will be explained on how to empty the drains and change dressings if needed.
- You will be asked to move and walk a little every day to prevent blood clotting and reduce swelling.
- You must avoid strenuous activities for at least 3 weeks or more if your surgeon suggests.
- You are likely to experience a scar formation after the healing process. Your surgeon will prescribe you some topical medications that will minimize the appearance of the scar.
Recovery after tummy tuck seems to be an unpleasant and difficult process but remember it gives amazing results and you will get better after every passing day. You can go through the recovery and post-operation phase smoothly if you follow the instructions provided by your surgeon. Both the phases are explained above in detail and guide you on what to expect after tummy tuck and how to care for your incisions.
If you are thinking of undergoing abdominoplasty or want to know more about the procedure, recovery, results or cost in detail, fill in the given form. Dubai Cosmetic Surgery® offers a free initial consultation to the patients who are willing to undergo a tummy tuck surgery. So, book your appointment with our surgeons now.