A lot of people find it hard to differentiate between plastic surgery and cosmetic surgery. This is because on the surface they both look similar but the truth is that they are quite different.
Plastic surgery is a surgical procedure performed for the reconstruction of the body and facial defects that occur due to trauma, birth defects, disease or burns. Plastic surgery is done with the intention of correcting and reconstructing dysfunctional areas of the body.
Cosmetic surgery, on the other hand, enhances the appearance and improves the aesthetic appeal, proportion, and symmetry of the body through surgical and medical techniques. Cosmetic surgery is elective and can be performed anywhere on the body.
Plastic Surgery Overview
Plastic surgery is generally a procedure that is used to restore the function of skin and tissues back to normal or close to as normal as possible.
What is plastic surgery used for?
Plastic surgery is used to reconstruct and repair;
- Areas which have been damaged by the removal of cancerous tissues
- Birth defects such as webbed fingers, cleft lip and palate, and birthmarks
- Extensive burns and other serious injuries
Techniques of Plastic Surgery
- Skin Flap surgery. In this technique of plastic surgery, a piece of tissue is taken from one part of the body and is transferred to another together with blood vessels that keep it alive. It is called flap surgery because the transferred healthy tissue is partially attached to the body while it is re-positioned.
- Skin grafts. During this treatment, healthy tissue from an unaffected area of the body is removed and transferred to replace damaged or lost skin.
- Tissue expansion. The surrounding tissues of a damaged area are stretched and expanded in order to enable the body to grow extra skin which is then used to reconstruct the damaged area.
- Vacuum closure. In this technique, the wound is usually suctioned by the use of a sterile piece of foam which draws out fluid and helps in healing.
- Fat transfer or grafting. This type of plastic surgery technique involves the removal of fat from one area which is then inserted into another area in order to correct unevenness.
- Prosthetic devices. Like artificial limbs are used when a person has lost his limbs in an accident. Prosthetic devices enable people to perform their normal functions again.
- Camouflage cream and makeup cover skin disfigurements like tattoos or any type of discoloration that normally people want to hide.
Benefits of Plastic Surgery
Plastic surgery restores self-confidence because after the procedure people look and tend to feel better. It lowers the risk of anxiety and depression.
Plastic surgery brings out physical transformations that enhance a person’s appearance and helps him psychologically.
Helps in looking more natural
The media portrays plastic surgery as something that makes people look less natural. However, it is not true. The goal of plastic surgery is to look natural and balance the proportions of the body. Plastic surgery reduces trauma that has been caused to the body. It is evident through people who had physical injuries or birth defects and they opted for plastic surgery to achieve the most natural results.
Plastic surgery helps in kick-starting a new lifestyle such as exercise and other healthy physical activities that the patient could not have done before.
Risks of Plastic Surgery
Just like any other type of surgery, plastic surgery has risks too. The level of risk depends on type of procedure being performed, the overall health of the patient, the size of the affected area and the surgeon’s level of expertise.
Some of the risks include;
If you notice any of the signs above or anything unusual after the procedure, contact your surgeon immediately.
Cosmetic Surgery Overview
As mentioned above cosmetic surgery is a surgical procedure that is done in order to change the appearance or shape of a body part. It is mostly performed on someone who is unsatisfied with his or her appearance. Cosmetic surgery is done for aesthetic purposes rather than for health reasons. It can change the position, structure, texture or color of a body part.
Some cosmetic procedures improve bodily functions or decrease ill-effects such as pain. Some procedures are operative which means they are invasive while others are non-invasive.
Some of the most common body parts on which cosmetic procedures are performed are;
- The abdomen
Operative/ Invasive Cosmetic Procedures
Invasive procedures involve implanting devices in order to increase the size of a body feature such as the breast. Some major invasive cosmetic procedures include;
- Lipoplasty or Liposuction. It removes fat from the body by using a suction technique which is done by making small cuts in the skin.
- Reshaping procedures. They change the shape or contour of a body feature and involve implants, reshaping or removing cartilage or bone.
- Body contouring. It involves tucking and lifting, leaving the skin tightened and giving it a more toned appearance.
- Hair replacement. Hair is transplanted and grafted on bald patches.
- Facial rejuvenation. It scraps away from the layers of dead skin cells.
Non-surgical/ Non-invasive Cosmetic Procedures
Non-invasive cosmetic procedures change the structure of the body tissues without surgery. Some of the procedures can be done in a beauty salon or in a dentist’s setting.
Some of these procedures include;
- Chemical peels. It involves the use of chemical solutions such as trichloroacetic, phenol and alpha hydroxy acids which are applied on the skin to remove the outer layers of the skin.
- Botulinum toxin injections are injected into the facial muscles to get rid of wrinkles.
- Dermal fillers. They contain collagen and are injected into the skin to temporarily reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
- Fat freezing. It is a laser treatment that kills stubborn fat cells without surgery.
- Use of Lasers. Lasers can be used to treat various skin and hair problems.
Benefits of Cosmetic Surgery
- Improves self-esteem
- Improves bodily and health functions
- The patient feels more at ease and comfortable after the procedure.
The Final Word
Plastic surgery and cosmetic surgery both are beneficial procedures for humankind. Both have enabled people to overcome their insecurities and disfigurements. However, which one is suitable for you depends on your requirements and goals. It is best to do your own research before settling on one procedure. Moreover, it is essential to consult with a plastic/cosmetic surgeon before deciding to get treatment. It is the job of a surgeon to suggest the most suitable treatment for you.
Dubai Cosmetic Surgery® is a hub of cosmetic surgery procedures that can change your life forever. With several leading cosmetic surgeons and state-of-the-art facilities, it is considered as one of the best cosmetic surgery clinics in Dubai. Book your appointment now if you are willing to undergo cosmetic surgery for an improved aesthetic appearance.