A neck lift also known as a lower rhytidectomy is a surgical procedure which improves the visible signs of aging in the neck and jawline.
it is not aging that causes our skin to become loose and sag but also other factors such as gravity, genetics, stress and aging that causes our skin to become loose and sag but also other factors such as gravity, genetics, stress and environmental conditions.
Many patients do a partial facelift and forget that the neck needs a touch up too since it is also showing signs of aging such as jowl lines, wrinkling and double chin or turkey wattle. Neck lifts are usually done so as to match the upper facial appearance.
During a neck lift a set of procedures are done so as to enhance the appearance of your neck. The procedures include;
- Altering or removing neck muscles
- Getting rid of excess skin
- Removing excess fat via liposuction
- Botox injections to deal with bands or fullness issues
- Removing excess fat under the chin via kybella injections
Ideal candidate for a neck lift
A good candidate for a neck lift should be someone who;
- Is a non-smoker
- Should be healthy and not have any medical condition that would impair healing
- Has realistic expectations
Benefits of a Neck Lift
- Minimal downtime. The recovery period is short and straightforward and in most cases the patients can return to their normal day to day activities within a week after the procedure.
- Improved self-esteem and confidence. a neck lift addresses issues on your neck that you were not happier or satisfied with. Once the issues are fixed then you become happy and this boosts your confidence and self-esteem.
- Minimal scarring. The neck lift is discreet because the incisions are normally hidden under the chin and in the hairline behind the ears.
- Reduction of excess skin. During the procedure excess skin is removed after tightening thus improving the overall appearance.
- Youthful appearance. The neck lift gives you a rejuvenated, refreshed and younger looking appearance.
- Smoothens skin. Wrinkles and fine lines are eliminated thus pulling the skin and making it tighter.
- Tightens the underlying muscles. The neck lift does not just work on the surface alone but also works on the underlying muscles as well, tightening them thus minimizing the appearance of loose skin and giving the impression of weight loss.
- Contours the jawline and chin
- Gets rid of platysmal bands
Risks of a Neck Lift
- Facial asymmetry
- Changes in the skin sensation such as numbness
- Skin discoloration and irregularities
- Hematoma which is fluid accumulation
- Sutures may show on the surface of the skin and cause irritation. They may eventually require removal
- Healing of the wound poorly
- The patient may be unsatisfied with the results and may need another surgery
Since getting a neck lift is a personal decision
It is important to discuss all the benefits and risks with your potential surgeon before making a decision. Ask him or her all the questions that you would want cleared up and if the you feel that the benefits outweigh the risks or if the risks are tolerable to you then you can go head and have the neck lift. Make sure that the surgeon is fully qualified, licensed and with a good track record.