Not all of us are born with perfect ears. Several people are not happy with the size and shape of their ears. Their abnormal-looking ears make them extra conscious about their looks and they avoid public gatherings because of low self-confidence. Too big, too small or visibly imperfect ears negatively impact the overall look of the face. Therefore, procedures like ear surgery or otoplasty have been introduced. Ear surgery can treat all the imperfections related to ears, restoring your self-esteem and improving your overall appearance.
However, it is a surgical procedure and people have their reservations about the treatment. One of the biggest concerns is the pain associated with this otoplasty. Majority of the patients want to know how long the pain lasts after the ear surgery. So, in this article, we will answer the question in detail.
Continue reading to find out!
What is Ear Surgery?
Ear surgery is a cosmetic procedure that rectifies the birth defects in the structure of the ear and improves its shape, size, placement and proportion. It helps you in getting the desired shape and size of your ears. You can also undergo ear surgery for the correction of defects that are caused by certain trauma or accident. You can reduce the size of your ears if they are abnormally big or you can increase the size if your ears are too big. Similarly, if you have protruding ears, you can get them treated with otoplasty.
Is Ear Surgery Painful?
Pain is linked to almost every surgical procedure due to the level of invasiveness involved. Same is the case with ear surgery. You will feel mild to moderate pain after the completion of ear surgery which is normal. During the first 24 hours, you will feel discomfort because of the dressing. If the bandages are too tight, the pain might get worse. In case you are feeling severe pain which is not being relieved with medication then you must visit your surgeon. Severe pain can be a sign of a complication or extremely tight bandage.
How long does the Pain Last?
The ear will remain sore and you might feel pain for at least 7-14 days after the surgery. The surgeons usually prescribe pain medications to relieve the pain. The regular over-the-counter painkillers like paracetamol and ibuprofen are also effective for pain management.
How to Care for the Wound after Surgery?
If you want to avoid side-effects and complications, you need to take good care of the wound after the surgery. It will protect you from infections and severe pain. You need to follow some important aftercare instructions which include;
- You should keep your head elevated to reduce the swelling.
- Keep the dressing dry when you wash your face.
- You should apply prescribed ointment to the incision lines when the dressing is removed at least 3 times a day for up to 3 days.
- Avoid bending, hitting or touching your ears while brushing or shampooing your hair.
- If you wear glasses then make sure they are taped up because glasses should not rest on the incision.
- Avoid using curling irons, straighteners or blow dryer for hair styling because they can cause burns.
- It is preferable to wear headbands on ears for at least one week.
- Extreme physical activities should be avoided like exercise, sexual intercourse or athletic activities. You can start a light walk three days after the surgery.
- Activities like heavy lifting, aerobics and straining should be resumed 3 weeks after the surgery.
- You cannot swim for 4-6 weeks after the surgery.
- Take the prescribed pain management medicines.
- Avoid sun exposure and tanning beds for six weeks post-surgery.
The Bottom Line
In short, ear surgery is an effective treatment that improves the aesthetics of your ear and gives you the desired shape and size of ear. You might feel soreness or pain for a week or two but it can be managed with painkillers. Ear surgery gives you permanent results which makes all the pain and difficulties worth it. You get properly proportioned ears which enhances your self-confidence.
If you are looking to get an ear surgery, visit Dubai Cosmetic Surgery®. We have highly experienced cosmetic surgeons on board who can deliver successful results without compromising your safety. You can get a free initial consultation at our clinic in which you can discuss all your concerns with the surgeon. You just need to fill in the form given below and we will book your appointment right away.