Ear reshaping surgery – medically known as otoplasty – is a surgical procedure that is performed for enhancing ears by making changes in their shapes and sizes. It is surgical invasive procedure that involves incisions and some time for complete recovery. Before opting for any procedure, patients consider lots of factors associated with it and recovery period is one of the most important. Here we will discuss about the recovery period of ear reshaping surgery.
The recovery period after ear reshaping surgery varies from patient to patient depending on many factors like extent of surgery. Generally, it requires about six weeks for patients to recover completely after ear surgery. However, an experienced and well-trained plastic surgeon tries to make recovery period as short as possible. The final results become apparent after your ears heal completely. You, as a patient, also need to follow his instructions and take medications regularly to make your recovery comfortable and quick.
Right after the surgery, you will be under the effect of anesthesia. You will be having head bandage for about a week but this time period varies from patient to patient. These bandages speed up the healing. Patients are also directed to wear headband that covers the ears and their purpose is to hold the ears in position. Sometimes, patient needs to wear it at night only. Bandages are removed after several days. You can resume to your normal activities about a week after surgery.
As mentioned earlier, the final results become visible after complete recovery because ears appear bruised and swollen after the surgery and these symptoms take some time to subside completely. However, if you want to get quick results then you should the below given instructions after ear surgery during recovery period.
- Keep your head cool during recovery and avoid extreme heat and using blow driers.
- Avoid vigorous activity or exercise because it can affect the blood circulation resulting in poor healing.
- Avoid washing hair for nearly a week.
- Keep your head elevated while sleeping or resting to minimize swelling.
- Take prescribed medications regularly to avoid pain and discomfort.
- Keep wounds dry and apply prescribed ointments to make healing quick and prevent visible scarring.
- Contact your surgeon as soon as possible if you experience any complications.
No doubt the surgery causes some temporary side effects but if you notice any of the following symptoms during recovery period, you should not delay consulting your plastic surgeon.
- Rapid heartbeat, pain in the chest and shortness of breath
- Excessive bleeding
- Slow healing or infection in the wounds
- Sudden increase in pain
In short, being a surgical invasive procedure, ear reshaping surgery requires some time for complete recovery but you can make it fast and comfortable by strictly following surgeon’s instructions.