Liposuction is ranked as Dubai’s number 1 and world’s 2nd most popular procedure after eyelid surgery. It has evolved over the decades of practice and technological progress to become the most accepted option for removing unevenness in body contours. Also, it is known for eliminating lumps or bumps in subcutaneous tissues and localized fat deposits that do not respond to exercise and dieting.
Below are some helpful Dos and Don’ts for liposuction procedure. Patients who follow these steps can avoid complications more than 90 % of the times.
Let’s dive into the details!
- Do proper and ample research: This involves background reading about the procedure, candidacy criteria, its different methods, before and after pictures and most importantly how to find a qualified surgeon with a good reputation. Because choice of surgeon has an impact on the results.
- Keep a lookout on your weight before & after surgery: Liposuction is a procedure done purely for aesthetic reasons or medical necessity in rare cases. It is useful in shaping the body by removing stubborn fatty tissue from the areas such as hips, abdomen, inner limbs neck and face. Additionally it is NOT a weight loss alternative. In fact, best candidates are those who are healthy or have normal weight. You have to do your part by eating a healthy diet, living a healthy lifestyle and exercising routinely. This way you can avoid visceral fat accumulation that is life-threatening after surgery and you can heal better.
- Explore your options: A good surgeon will always instruct you about the various techniques suitable for you, but you ought to know the basics yourself.
- Tumescent liposuction is a “wet” form of liposuction where anesthetic and enzyme solution is injected into the targeted fat. This solution numbs the area and break down fat polymers into fatty acids that can be easily suctioned out without damaging the surrounding nerves and organs. Operation is pain-free and post-operative bruising is comparatively minimal.
- Ultrasound or laser assisted liposuction is a method that makes use of radio frequency or light spectrum beams of regulated pulses that liquefy fat and make the process faster and easier. Also, it induces skin tightening effects. The advantage of laser assisted liposuction is that it has minimal downtime and accelerated healing.
- Follow recovery instruction properly: Your surgeon will instruct you regarding the best possible way to take care of your healing body. He will prescribe you antibiotics and painkillers along with tips on how to perform routine activities. Slight physical activity like walking will reduce blood clotting risks and support garments are to be worn for the recommended time.
- Ask questions: It is both your right and your responsibility to ask as much as you want and need. Doing your research prior to the consultation will help you express your concerns and validate the doctor if he/she is suitable for you. Every patient is also evaluated by the surgeon so this communication is essential. Be sure to discuss concerns, expectations and costs.
- Understand the purpose of Liposuction: As explained above, it is a cosmetic procedure that can eliminate stubborn fats in the body and provides remarkable results. The aesthetic aspect of this procedure addresses physical imperfections as well as self-esteem issues to improve the quality of life. So, it is essential for you to understand the procedure in detail and also learn more about the experiences of liposuction patients.
- Don’t expect instant results: The results are quite visible the day after surgery but you need to keep realistic expectations, have patience and follow the post-operative instructions to get final results.
- Don’t continue over-the-counter medications: If you really have to, you must discuss it with your plastic surgeon. Aspirin, anti-inflammation, anti-coagulants, vitamin and herbal supplements will increase the risks associated with healing.
- Don’t assume that any fat on the body can be treated with liposuction: Your candidacy will be the first thing to be evaluated in your pre-operative consultation. In this meeting your surgeon will outline treatable areas and analyze if you are a good candidate for surgery or not.
- Don’t be shy if you are a man: Liposuction is not for women only. Even though a large majority of patients undergoing liposuction are women. That is only a consequence of cultural roles that we have inherited. Men are as potential candidates as women are. Liposuction is a certified treatment method for gynecomastia (enlarged male breasts) and will even get you those 6-packs you have always wanted after all those months at the gym. Increasing numbers of men are opting for liposuction in Dubai.
- Don’t dally in attaining your dream figure: If you feel that despite trying your level best to maintain a healthy lifestyle, eating healthy and changing your habits is not giving you that dream figure then by all means explore liposuction as a liable treatment. It may be the jumpstart you need!
- Don’t ignore your doctor’s instructions: Despite having high recovery rate, being safe, FDA-approved and carried out by thousands every year; it is still an invasive cosmetic procedure that is more art than science. Every patient is also different with various afflictions, tendencies and biological factors that affect healing. So, following recovery instructions to the dot is absolutely necessary if you wish to have no complications and want to heal properly in order to get desired results. Give your body time to heal and be patient. Abstain from alcohol, smoking and over-the-counter medications and take your antibiotics for the prescribed time.
So, there you have it in a nutshell. If you think you can keep these dos and don’ts at heart then liposuction is the best option for you to get rid of stubborn fat pockets. All these instructions will keep you up-to-date about the surgery and you can have realistic expectations from the treatment. If you wish to get liposuction surgery at Dubai Cosmetic Surgery®, sign up today for a free consultation with one of our specialists to find your chances, answers and predictions right away.