Losing weight is a big step towards wellness. But sometimes when you lose too much weight, you end up not liking what you see in the mirror. This is because of the loose skin and tissues left behind hanging from most parts of your body. It happens because the skin lacks the elasticity to return to its original form or adapt to the size of your new body.
When this happens, it is time you decide to have a body contouring procedure to get rid of the hanging skin and tissue, as well as uneven bulges and curves. There are many procedures that you can opt for body contouring which include Abdominoplasty (Tummy tuck), Brachioplasty (Arm lift), Mastopexy (Breast lift) and Buttocks and thigh lifts.
Here, we will explore how these procedures are performed and how body contouring is beneficial for you.
The body contouring procedures might be accomplished in a single session, or you can arrange with your surgeon to have it done in stages, or one section of your body at a time. Most commonly, body contouring is done within three stages under general anesthesia.
Abdominoplasty: This procedure is used to remove excess or hanging skin from your stomach area. If done by a professional and experienced surgeon, your tummy is left toned and firm.
Mastopexy: During this procedure, the surgeon usually trims off the sagging skin of the breast and re-positions them on an upward level. During some occasions the breasts might require an implant to replace the fat you lost during your weight loss journey.
Brachioplasty: After the weight is lost, you might end up with what is commonly known as ‘bat wings’. During this procedure, the loose and sagging skin under your upper arms is pulled tight by the surgeon, and the extra skin is discarded.
Buttocks and thigh lift: When it comes to this area, the surgeon raises and tightens the skin over the buttocks and thighs to get rid of the excess tissues and skin. This leaves the areas with less visible dimples, sagginess and with more defined features.
- By having a body contouring procedure, you will be able to remodel your body figure in a way that cannot be done with more exercise or shape belts.
- Body contouring enables you to see the actual results of your weight loss which also increases your esteem levels.
- With an evenly shaped and well-proportioned body, you will be able to improve your appearance dramatically and boost your self-confidence.
Things to do before surgery
- First and foremost, choose a plastic surgeon who is Board Certified.
- Make sure your weight is stable. Wait for at least two to three months to be sure.
- Prepare yourself psychologically.
- Realize that there will be a lot of scarring in every section that will be treated by the surgeon.
- Quit smoking
- Plan your time off to recover. Recovery takes between four to six weeks.
It is quite essential to undergo body contouring treatments after losing weight because most of the times, the skin becomes loose and starts hanging. To cope up with this condition, skin tightening and re-positioning is required which is possible through body contouring procedures mentioned above. If you are interested in having any of these procedures then consult with our cosmetic surgeons at Dubai Cosmetic Surgery®. You can book an appointment for initial consultation by filling the form given below or by calling us.