Do you ever wish you could move fat from your belly, love handles and even thighs to other places in your body? Well you can do exactly that with fat grafting.
What is Fat Grafting?
Also referred to as fat injections or fat transfer, fat grafting is a surgical process in which fat is transferred from one area of the body to another. Its’ main aim is to augment or improve the area where the fat is injected. It involves harvesting fat cells via liposuction, processing the fat and lastly reinjecting the purified fat into the needed area.
Fat grafting is used to enhance and improve the cosmetic appearance of the buttocks, hips, feet, hands, breasts and face. It also helps in the healing of scars and wounds as well as repairing breast tissue damage after radiation treatment.
Since liposuction is a primary component in fat grafting then it is performed by a plastic surgeon. The type of anaesthesia used usually depends on the volume of the fat being extracted from the donor area through liposuction.
Common Areas of Fat Grafting Applications
- Fat grafting corrects breast asymmetry as well as scar deformities from breast reconstruction or lumpectomy, treats breast implant capsular contractures as well as increasing the breast size by one or two cup sizes.
- Because of aging gravity plays a role in redistributing some of the facial fat pads shifting them downwards. In the process the fat pads collect around the jaw area and in the chin leaving the upper portion of the face looking hollow and gaunt. Fat injections work the same way as dermal fillers but with much longer lasting results. Fat grafting adds volume to the cheeks creating higher cheekbones appearance, smooths out wrinkles and fine lines by adding volume to the hollowed parts such as the nasolabial folds and below the eye area. It helps in scar repairing as well as improving the appearance and texture of the skin.
- Hands and Feet. Fat transfer helps with padding of bony feet as well as reducing wrinkles and rejuvenating the hands and feet appearance.
- Fat grafting adds volume to the hips and this not only provides a more feminine profile but also a better waist-hip ratio.
- It can do Brazilian butt lifts which is augmentation of the buttocks size and it also makes the buttocks appear perkier.
The risks of the fat grafting procedure are minimal and you might require more procedures done in order to get the optimal results.
Benefits of Fat Grafting
- The chance of an allergic reaction is slim because the treatment uses your own fat
- The results are natural looking
- The procedure can be easily combined with other cosmetic procedures such as breast augmentation and liposuction
- There is little downtime if the fat grafting is done alone but if performed with othe procedures the healing time might be lengthy
- There is no synthetic material used for the enhancements
- The results are immediate noticeable and improve as the days go by
- The optimal results are long lasting as 50-80% of the transferred fat is retained permanently.