Abdominoplasty, also known as a tummy tuck, is a popular cosmetic surgery procedure that is done to achieve a firmer and thinner abdomen. It involves the removal of excess fat and skin from the lower and middle parts of the abdomen.
Abdominoplasty procedures are different and vary in scope. They can be divided into different categories such as partial, complete, extended and several other categories depending on the extent of the surgery. A partial abdominoplasty, also known as a mini-tuck, can typically take one to two hours for completion. A complete abdominoplasty can basically take one to five hours for completion.
Full recovery from a tummy tuck can take up to six months depending on the type of surgery you had and how you took care of the treated area after the procedure. However, it takes a lot of time for the tummy tuck scars to heal, about a year or more. Again it depends on how well you take care of it.
Tummy Tuck Scarring
The tummy tuck scar will be prominent within three months after the surgery. In the first few months, the scar usually looks purple or reddish and raised slightly but the discoloration clears over time and it flattens. As long as there are no complications this process takes about a year to complete. However, the timeline can vary depending on the skin color and genetic background of the patient.
Remedies for Abdominoplasty Scarring
- Avoid the sun and if you cannot avoid it then use sunscreen even in the scarred area. This is because ultraviolet rays from the sun can change the final outcome of the scar by darkening it further.
- Do not smoke. Nicotine slows down the healing process of a wound.
- Use a compression garment as it can ease tension on the incisions thereby reducing the scar’s appearance.
- Massage the scars as it helps with the healing process
- Monitor the scars often and if you notice something out of the ordinary get it checked by your surgeon as soon as possible.
Treatments for Tummy Tuck Scars
- Laser treatment. This type of treatment targets the damaged scar tissues with high energy light. Several sessions are however needed for optimal results.
- Punch grafts. In this type of treatment, the scarred tissue is removed and replaced with new skin from a different part of the patient’s body.
- Post surgical Scar revision/excision. It involves the removal of the scarred tissue and then the skin edges are closed up.
- Steroid applications and injections. This type of treatment is at times used during the tummy tuck surgery or about four weeks after the surgery to get rid of the thick and raised scars.
It is a hard fact that a tummy tuck will leave you with a permanent scar. This scar will never fully disappear although it might reduce in appearance. But still, there are many treatments that can diminish the scars and lighten them. If you want non-invasive scar revision then laser treatment is best for you. Otherwise, steroids can also be used and if you prefer a surgical procedure then scar excision can be a better option. However, we suggest you consult with a surgeon before going for any procedure. You can visit Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic if you are looking for abdominoplasty scars treatment. Our surgeons specialize in revising scars and can deliver the best results according to your requirements. So, book your appointment now.