Melasma Treatment in Dubai
Melasma is a skin discoloration that can often be found on the facial region. The appearance of Melasma is common among women in their early to late twenties. The biggest factor that causes this kind of skin discoloration is the excessive exposure to the heat of the sun. A person can assess himself if he has melasma when brown or tan spots start to appear on the surface of the skin. Melasma is also called a hyperpigmentation of the skin where often times it develops during the summer and can be less visible in the winter or cold season. Melasma commonly appears on the central face, cheekbones and jawline where the sun usually hits the face first. It has been stated that melasma is not often common among men and that 80% of person affected by this type of skin discoloration are women. Women of Latin, Asian and Middle Eastern descents are most likely prone to melasma compared to Caucasian women.
Possible Factors that can Cause Melasma:
- Excessive sun exposure.
- Genetic predisposition.
- Hormonal changes in teenagers.
- Hormonal changes for pregnant women.
- Can be an effect of birth control pills.
- Thyroid disease.
- Anti-seizure medications.
- Body and skin products with the presence of a strong chemical ingredient that can trigger skin pigmentation ones exposed to too much heat of the sun.
- Heat from bakeries and factories can also cause melasma to workers working in this type of environment.
Ways to Treat Melasma:
- Avoid too much sun exposure especially in the summer season when heat can be unbearable.
- Use sun protection when planning for a beach vacation.
- Use SPF creams for the face on a daily basis.
- Women, who wear makeup for work, can choose a wide variety and brands of makeup that carry lines with SPF protection to lessen the effect of the sun especially on the facial region.
- Use wide-rimmed hats to shade the face from the sun.
- Topical creams with hydroquinone, tretinoin, corticosteroids, azelaic acid and kojic acid can be prescribed by dermatologists to help lighten the skin and avoid skin discolorations like melasma.
- Laser therapies are new technologies for melasma treatment when all other topical creams cannot help diminish melasma.
- Fraxel laser received new FDA approval specifically to treat skin pigmentation problems such as melasma and the benefits for this type of treatment is it can safely treat the cells producing pigment yet it protects the outer layer of skin at the same time. Anyone who goes through this type of treatment should avoid the sun and must be vigilant in using high grade UVA and UVB protection all the time.
- Chemical Peels