Are you one of those people who suffer from perpetual skin problems? Do you have oily, acne-prone or aging skin with enlarged pores? Most people will have one or a combination of these problems due to various factors that include:
- Hormonal changes
- Mental or physical stress
- The natural aging process.
- Time and gravity
These factors can take away the youthfulness or smoothness of skin making it less tight and smooth than before. Of course no one is fond of aged and tired looking skin.
These skin conditions can make a person seem less attractive and in some cases even unsightly. The sufferers are very conscious about the appearance of their skin, especially when the skin problems begin to peak during teenage due to a change in hormones and continue well into their 20’s and 30’s. Acne can be a lifelong problem that can stay with you forever, if it is not treated. It can scar not only your skin but also your self esteem and comfort level in social situations. Acne sufferers usually suffer from acne lesions, scarring, discolouration, black and whiteheads as well as enlarged pores. While acne prone skin ages slowly, clear skin with tiny pores faces the risk of aging faster.
Skin imperfections are not easily treated with medicines or creams. Though makeup can temporarily reduce their appearance, a heavily caked face is not the best substitute for naturally beautiful skin.
However, the good news for people with such skin conditions is that Fractional CO2 treatments in Dubai are now available. Not only are these less invasive and safer than the old ablative lasers but they are also very affordable.
What is Fractional CO2 Treatment?
Fractional CO2 resurfacing can take off years from the face and significantly improve the appearance of wrinkles and pigmentation. Unlike other treatments such as microdermabrasion it is not a lunchtime procedure. In the past traditional Co2 laser treatments removed the entire surface of the skin. The recovery time was lengthy and it could lead to permanent skin lightening.
Modern fractional CO2 uses small columns of fractionated energy to ablate damages areas of skin. Tiny wounds are created and the surrounding healthy skin helps with healing, forming new collagen and elastin. By targeting deeper zones within the skin as opposed to an entire skin surface, fractional Co2 treatment is a one-time treatment performed under local anesthesia. It offers a mild improvement in discolouration, scarring and wrinkles by stimulating growth of collagen. Skin tightening is also one of the alleged effects of CO2 lasers.
Fractional Co2 lasers can treat a number of dermatological and cosmetic skin conditions such as:
- Superficial lesions
- Skin texture
- Fine lines
Fractional CO2 treatment can be performed by itself or in conjunction with other other procedures such as eyelid lift, facelift or injectable treatments.
Who is a suitable candidate for Fractional CO2 Treatment in Dubai?
- Patients in the age bracket of 40 or above with moderate to severe facial lines or wrinkles are good candidates for fractional CO2 treatments.
- Persons with uneven skin tone due to skin pigment irregularities and acne scarring are also approved.
- Persons with enlarged pores or hyperpigmentation are also suitable candidates
- This treatment is however not appropriate for people with dark skin. Usually those lying below IV and V in the Fitzpatrick scale are more prone to the risk of changes in skin pigmentation.
How long does the Fractional CO2 procedure take?
The actual laser procedure will take only about 20 minutes, but the preparation time and post-laser treatment time can make it 1.5 hours long. Before the laser treatment, topical numbing is applied on the skin for it to work. When the treatment is over, you will have to stay for another 20 minutes to cool down the skin via a cooling treatment.
A fractional CO2 as the name suggests is fractional. This means that tiny yet intense laser energy microbeams create areas of treated tissue surrounded by untreated healthy tissue. Over the coming days, weeks and months your body’s own healing process will lead to the generation of healthy tissue to replace the affected tissue areas, thus greatly improving the skin condition being treated.
Is the procedure painful?
The CO2 fractional laser is not as painful as expected. I minor buzz can be felt when the laser is projected through the skin. However the laser feels much like a tingling sensation than pain. The smell of burnt hair is more apparent when the laser burns tiny facial hairs than any other pain. After 30 minutes the pain is gone despite a slightly warm feeling. And within two hours there is no sign of pain.
A fractional laser is a lot more comfortable than the traditional laser treatments. It will feel like a bad sunburn which will eventually pass within a few hours.
- It can be uncomfortable and may take longer than surgery
- Specific skin-care instructions need to be followed
- Immediately after the procedure, your skin will be raw and oozing, perhaps covered in bandages and ointment
- Over the first week crusts will form and the healing skin underneath will be pink and very sensitive
- Although the entire healing will take a month, redness can last from two to three months
- Once the patient has fully healed a significant improvement in fine lines, wrinkles, skin discolouration and laxity will be very noticeable.
The results will be visible after about a week, when the treated area of the skin have peeled off. Then the patient will be able to see new and fresh skin underneath.
Although apparent difference are seen after one or two weeks, te entire results come a month after the procedure.
- There is a new ealthy glow in the skin
- The overall texture is improved
- The pores are diminished
- Some fine lines around the eyes are reduced
- The treatment can also remove sun damage off the face
- One can go without makeup and look more youthful with an even skin tone
How many CO2 fractional treatment sessions are needed to get results?
Once the outer skin has peeled off in a week, instant results will be noticeable. Even though a single treatment is sufficient to show results, there will be much benefit in having the treatment done once every month or once in two months (depending n skin type and condition) for three times. The effects are thought to last up to 8-10 years.
Benefits of CO2 Fractional laser
- The downtime is minimal due to the laser beam being microscopic
- There is increased comfort in using fractional Co2 laser.
- The fractional array of micro beams will not damage the skin the way traditional ablative treatments do.
- Fractional Co2 lasers are very gentle
- Only anesthesia required is applying a topical numbing cream
- It is a safe and minimally invasive procedure
- Each tiny fractional column leaving a tiny scar re-epithelializes within one or two days. This minimizes risk of infection, scarring or long term changes in pigmentation.
Side effects of CO2 laser:
Common side effects include:
- Swelling and redness that lasts for one or two days.
- Pain and redness that will subside after a few hours
- Immediately after treatment, the treated area is very red and hot. An icepack will be needed to cool down the face when going to bed at night
- As with any laser treatment, patients with darker complexions may be at risk for pigmentation loss.
- Failure to achieve adequate improvement in the skin condition is another possible risk
Fractional CO2 Treatment Areas:
CO2 lasers are most commonly used on the face, neck, hands, arms and chest. The best results are normally seen on the face as this is where the largest pores and prominent wrinkles are present. It will leave you with a healthy and youthful look without apparent wrinkles.
However before getting the fractional CO2 treatment in Dubai it is important to consult your dermatologist to make sure that it is suitable for your skin type and condition. You should choose a cosmetic surgeon who is certified in the particular field and has years of relevant experience.