Liposuction in Dubai
Liposuction is the surgical procedure that removes the excess fat deposits on localized areas of the body and slims and reshapes them improving the contours of your entire body. Liposuction procedure can be performed using various techniques and it can be done either on one area or multiple areas in the same procedure.
The most common areas that are treated with liposuction include:
- Buttocks and hips
- Inner knee
- Calves and ankles
- Upper arms
- Chest area
- Cheeks, chin and neck
Liposuction is an effective procedure for both men and women. You may be an ideal candidate for this procedure if:
- You have excess fat deposits on localized areas of your body that are not responsive to diet and exercise.
- You are not obese and are within 30% of your ideal weight.
- You have firm and elastic skin and good muscle tone.
- You are not suffering from any serious health condition that can interfere with healing process.
- You are not taking aspirin or blood thinning medications.
- You are non-smoker.
- You have realistic expectations with the outcomes of procedure.
- You are not pregnant or lactating.
There are various techniques for the procedure of liposuction and the duration of surgery also varies from patient to patient depending on the technique used and extent of surgery. Traditional liposuction procedure includes the following steps:
- The first step of the procedure is administration of anesthesia. The options include intravenous sedation, local anesthesia and general anesthesia but the procedure is usually performed under general anesthesia.
- The next step is making incisions. Surgeon will make small inconspicuous incisions in few sites in the treatment area.
- Then diluted local anesthesia will be injected in the treatment area to reduce risks of bleeding and trauma.
- After injecting local anesthesia, a small cannula – thin hollow tube – will be inserted through incisions. This cannula will be moved back and forth to loosen the excess fat.
- The broken fat will be then removed using syringe or vacuum attached to the cannula.
- Finally, incisions will be stitched closed with sutures.
In the initial few days of recovery, you may feel more pain and discomfort but all the side effects will subside with the passage of time by following your surgeon’s instructions. The most common side effects of procedure are swelling and bruising. Swelling may take few months to subside completely but rest of the side effects will be resolved completely in several days. Our plastic surgeon will give you customized list of post-surgical instructions. Some common instructions are:
- Taking care of your incision sites and drains
- Use of oral and topical medications to aid healing process and avoid infection
- Avoiding vigorous activities and exercise for certain period of time
- Wearing compression garment
Our plastic surgeon will give you detailed and customized list of pre-surgical instructions that will help you get prepared for the procedure but below given are some common instructions for preparing for surgery:
- Stop smoking
- Stop intake of alcohol
- Take prescribed medications regularly and adjust current medications
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory medications and herbal supplements because they increase the risk of bleeding
- Get lab tests done
- Arrange someone who can drive you to home after surgery
- Cannula – a thin hollow tube that is used to break down the fat cells.
- General anesthesia – medication used during surgery to prevent pain and keep patient unconscious
- Intravenous sedation – injecting sedative in to the vein to relax the patient
- Local anesthesia – medication that is injected directly in the treatment area to relieve pain and discomfort
- Lipoplasty – alternate term for liposuction
- Liposuction – lipo means fat and suction means sucking out, so liposuction procedure vacuums out the fat
- Sutures – stitches used to close incisions by holding skin together
- Hematoma – accumulation of blood beneath the skin
The results of liposuction – well-contoured and shapelier body – are lasting but only if you maintain stable weight by following proper exercise and diet regimen. The final results will become apparent after swelling and fluid retention subsides completely. This may take time period of several months.